American Chin + SF???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
We just got our 1st litter, doe is Am. Chin. buck is SF....
I don't know anything about genetics, obviously cause I was expecting black kits (maybe w/white tummies).
They were just born, so I'm sure colors will change??
They are mostly dark head/shoulders, but the rest is pink (which I think means a lighter color?)
I'm surprised, but excited to actually have a little variety in the litter instead of each kit looking the same!!
I've been reading up on the genetics (actually made a great homeschool discussion today), but can someone tell me what possibilities exist for this pair???

Amy":2y0m3j11 said:
We just got our 1st litter, doe is Am. Chin. buck is SF....
I don't know anything about genetics, obviously cause I was expecting black kits (maybe w/white tummies).
They were just born, so I'm sure colors will change??
They are mostly dark head/shoulders, but the rest is pink (which I think means a lighter color?)
I'm surprised, but excited to actually have a little variety in the litter instead of each kit looking the same!!
I've been reading up on the genetics (actually made a great homeschool discussion today), but can someone tell me what possibilities exist for this pair???

They are agouti marked, they are chins more than likely. As far as I know the si Silvering gene is on a locus by itself, and the real base color is just black, so it's like you bred a black rabbit to a chin, so you would get chins, maybe blacks or self chins and possibly REW if either carries it.

Here is a pic, see how most of them are mostly pink? Doesn't pink skin usually indicate a lighter color, or am I mistaken?? The Am.Chin. babies I've seen have mostly dark skin, except the underneath is pink (which will later be white fur) I would assume SF babies would be all black? Also, I know the parents of both of my does were tested for REW and did not carry that gene.

Attachments

• 11-30-12 011.JPG
    11-30-12 011.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 725
When you said mostly pink, I thought you meant the agouti marked parts. The top of the babies is a little light, but chin is the shaded gene, and chins can produce sables among other things.

Okay, I CAN'T WAIT until their fur comes in!!!!

Never had pinks of any kind show up when I mix mine...makes me wonder what's genetically different in my breeding pair's history and yours...
I get black, dark chin or light chin, with black being the most common and light being the rarest.

I really wish I knew about genetics, it's driving me crazy!!! But, it's kind of exciting!
I didn't expect pink!? Someone told me it had to do with the silvering gene?
I have another Am.Chin. due tomorrow, so we'll see what she has.

ChickiesnBunnies":1d7l1k34 said:
Never had pinks of any kind show up when I mix mine...makes me wonder what's genetically different in my breeding pair's history and yours...
I get black, dark chin or light chin, with black being the most common and light being the rarest.

Thats what I was assuming until I saw those picts.<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:03 pm __________<br /><br />
Amy":1d7l1k34 said:
I really wish I knew about genetics, it's driving me crazy!!! But, it's kind of exciting!
I didn't expect pink!? Someone told me it had to do with the silvering gene?
I have another Am.Chin. due tomorrow, so we'll see what she has.

Yes it can. Because it's really only on a few breeds, there isn't much info about it. And chin strips color away, so this will be very interesting.

So, here are the popples as of today!!! They are so cute and cuddly.
Still curious on color, do they look blue/steel?<br /><br />__________ Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:57 pm __________<br /><br />Oops, I guess you need a picture!! :roll:
12-2-2012 006.JPG

Amy":1ir7qdg1 said:
So, here are the popples as of today!!! They are so cute and cuddly.
Still curious on color, do they look blue/steel?

Not seeing the present pics of popples. Did you post pics in the gallery? Would love to see them and try to guess which color. So glad to hear they are doing well.

Karen

YAY there they are. Look at those sweet, wrinkly babies. Lovely. See mostly blue, but just learning myself. Maybe a bit more fur? Is steel like tipping? Meaning like black rabbit with light tipping, like a SF?

Karen

Look again, silly me I pushed the submit button too early!

Amy":286nzrv7 said:
Look again, silly me I pushed the submit button too early!

I've done that too. They really look good. What an amazing change from the first pic. Definitely getting lighter.

Karen

I don't know, but on the fb pg. someone (who's knowledgeable) mentioned they look steel colored???

Amy":1x47wgce said:
I don't know, but on the fb pg. someone (who's knowledgeable) mentioned they look steel colored???

Went and read up on steel and can understand why the kits were suggested to be blue steel. Blue a dilution of black so with the American Chin and SF, both who has a tipping pattern, you can get blue steel? Tipping is in the "E" locus.

Can't wait to see how they develop.

Karen

Ooooohh, so exciting. Thanks for reading up, I don't know even the basics but want to learn....any good websites you've found that you'd recommend?

Amy":13z50gzq said:
Ooooohh, so exciting. Thanks for reading up, I don't know even the basics but want to learn....any good websites you've found that you'd recommend?

Here's some of the websites I venture to.

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-ge ... lor-locus/

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/steel-ra ... etics.html

http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/breeding.htm

It's confusing at first, but the more I pour over it, some things are finally clicking. It's really interesting to me.

Karen

ZRabbits":3teopf87 said:
Amy":3teopf87 said:

Went and read up on steel and can understand why the kits were suggested to be blue steel. Blue a dilution of black so with the American Chin and SF, both who has a tipping pattern, you can get blue steel? Tipping is in the "E" locus.

Karen

SF silvering is not exactly tipping, and its on it's own locus. American Chin is not tipping either. Am. Chin is an agouti, with agouti rings, where the C locus chin gene pattern results from the chin gene stripping away the color of the agouti rings.

At this point, all I can say is they are obviously not agoutis. They could be self chins, but I would need to see their eye color before I say that.

skysthelimit":2o9et4or said:
ZRabbits":2o9et4or said:
Amy":2o9et4or said:

Karen

SF silvering is not exactly tipping, and its on it's own locus. American Chin is not tipping either. Am. Chin is an agouti, with agouti rings, where the C locus chin gene pattern results from the chin gene stripping away the color of the agouti rings.

At this point, all I can say is they are obviously not agoutis. They could be self chins, but I would need to see their eye color before I say that.

So in the Amer Chin and SF, the most important locus to watch for is the C gene? And both are Agoutis which Agouti is Dominant? Self chins would have a recessive a but still have a chl in the C gene? And why seeing the eyes?

Sorry about the questions, but can't help it. lol

Karen

ZRabbits":1qyof7jo said:
So in the Amer Chin and SF, the most important locus to watch for is the C gene? And both are Agoutis which Agouti is Dominant? Self chins would have a recessive a but still have a chl in the C gene? And why seeing the eyes?

Sorry about the questions, but can't help it. lol

Karen

The SF silvering is on it's own locus Si. It's a self colored rabbit with the silvering gene acting on it.
The Am Chin and all chins are on the C locus, as are the shaded colors, Sable, Smoked Pearl, Magpies, Himis as well. Chins are agoutis where the color band is stripped pearl white.
Self chins happen when the chin does not have any agouti markings. The eye color is often a mottled blue gray.

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-ge ... layan-rew/

http://rabbitsmarties.com/2011/07/rabbi ... explained/

I have a litter very similar. Sire is SF. Dam is Am Chin/NZ mix. I got all blacks with one agouti.

Back