Am. Chin or Silver Fox?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMcNemar

Reaction score
So I finally found breeders for two of the meat rabbits I was looking at. The American Chinchilla and the Silver Fox. Eventually I'd like to raise both. I already know that the Am. Chins are pedigreed and will be show quality. So my breeding program would start out with really good stock, and the show quality kits could be sold, the pet quality kits could be sold, and then the remainder could be culled. With it only being myself and my husband we don't need tons of rabbit meat, so I think we'll be able to manage a nice balance between filling the freezer and selling the best kits to help a little with feed costs. I do not know if the Silver Fox breeder I found has her breeders registered or not, nor do I know if they are show quality.

Should I just go with the American Chinchillas? I'll still need a few months to get my bunny barn ready for them, but once my cages are all set up I'll be ready for my rabbits and I really am having a hard time deciding which breed to start out with. I really like both breeds. Does anyone have experience with either breed? Does anyone have any suggestions on which breed would be the best choice for my goals? I'd love to hear people's own experiences with the breeds, rather than just relying on a generic description from websites.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any experience with either, but my advice would be to go to some sort of show (or visit a breeder if you can) where you can see them in person and maybe get your hands on one to feel and interact with. If you're like me, that's the sort of thing that'll make your decision for you. ;) That's how I ended up with mini rex, when I'd driven 5 hours in search of Champagnes. :lol:

Best of luck!

Yes, well I guess that would be one way to go about it. Don't forget that if you get some Champagnes I do want some babies! LOL

He's supposed to be calling me in a couple weeks with a trio for me to pick up from him. I've got fingers crossed. He had some when I called him originally, but they were all from one litter. We're waiting on him to wean a couple more litters so he can pick his show bunnies then hook me up with the best of what's left.

You don't have to decide yet, so why try? Keep gathering information, try to see some of each in person and the decision will likely make itself while you are looking the other way. I do think that it is best to start with one breed and perhaps add the second after you have some experience.

Well, ahem, not to even PRETEND not to be a bit biased-- I LOVE AmChin!!! I had a couple Champagnes-- and I did notice at a show, that one cannot be sure of how evenly anything that is supposed to silver will silver-- The Champagnes I had were not silvered as evenly as my AmChins were Chinned!!!gGranted, there are differences in the body areas for the Champagnes- but all my related Am Chins were identically shaded/ticked-- whatever you would want to call it.
MOST of my AmChins were pretty laid back-- I could throw two or more bucks together in the same pen, and never any worry about them getting along while I cleaned cages. The nastiest Chin I had- "Growly Doe' was really a very protective mother-- once her kits were weaned-- she was fine! But she was the one I learned to keep gloves and long sleeved shirt on hand for. I am eagerly awaiting for a trio now-- Coming from Maryland--- :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

I guess you're right Maggie, but I'm just so excited! I can't wait to get some bunnies. I might end up just waiting to see about the Champagnes. If Artios can get some breeders for herself then I can get a couple of babies in a few months and I can start raising them for meat. I can always add the American Chinchillas later and then the Silver Fox, if I decide to raise three different breeds.

I've spent the last year trying to start my rabbitry with 5 breeds from several breeders and it has not worked. I've had to deal with snuffles twice. At this point, I will wait 3 to 6 months before I add any more buns, and when I do I will only add rabbits from one breeder. Then in 3-6 more months I will consider adding more from only one breeder. I will also talk more with the breeders about how they handle snuffles--cull or treat?

I was very excited when I started, but I'm pretty discouraged right now. I know it will take longer, but I think it can be turned around if I am patient and more cautious.

Just my thoughts about starting out and what I would do differently...Good Luck!

Ilovehome, every time you bring in new stock, there is risk of bringing in a health problem. I urge you to quarantine new rabbits in a separate place for a month to six weeks and to watch them closely for health problems. Care for them last and make sure you do not wear the same clothes back into your main rabbitry. They may seem - and indeed be - perfectly healthy, but if you treat them as a risk, your other rabbits will be a lot safer.

I'm actually thinking about making a second, smaller bunny barn when I go to get another breed from a different breeder. That way I have an entire quarantine building.

Actually, the the first set of rabbits were from the drift; they were from 3 different breeders but arrived at my home together. They were all quarantined together, and a closed herd (had never attended a show and no new rabbits added) at the time symptoms appeared. I isolated this rabbit immediately, and she and the kits remained isolated until were dispatched a few weeks later, as were a couple of bucks. There were no problems for two months. Then I bought another rabbit, quarantined it for a month before being added to the barn. And snuffles appeared again a couple of weeks later...

I thought I had done everything "right"...but apparently not...

( I keep editing and adding to this post..lol) One last thing, I blame myself for most of my rabbit losses... I probably cross contaminated in some way, but if many rabbits already have pasteurella and the healthy ones with good immune systems keep it knocked down and do not spread it, then what I am really looking for is rabbits with strong immune systems.

When I contacted the breeders to tell them about it, I was told it can be treated with antibiotics or natural things like vitamin B, bag balm etc. To me, the rabbits are weak if you have to treat them, but SOME breeders consider the rabbits healthy and still sell them or their offspring if they seem to recover. While I appreciate these breeders honesty, I find that part very frustrating because I personally will not knowingly sell a rabbit like that. The biggest thing I've learned is to really get to know the breeders and their practices before you purchase.

I still have some healthy rabbits from early purchases, and what I am finding is that these breeders cull and do not treat.

Your experiences must have been very frustrating and upsetting, Ilovehome. Sometimes even best practices do not seem to work. I agree with hard culling... In the long run it results in a stronger, more resistant herd. Once you get your base herd, minimize the number of outside additions and avoid impulse buys like the plague.

PMcNemar":1iyhwsxg said:
So I finally found breeders for two of the meat rabbits I was looking at. The American Chinchilla and the Silver Fox. Eventually I'd like to raise both. I already know that the Am. Chins are pedigreed and will be show quality. So my breeding program would start out with really good stock, and the show quality kits could be sold, the pet quality kits could be sold, and then the remainder could be culled. With it only being myself and my husband we don't need tons of rabbit meat, so I think we'll be able to manage a nice balance between filling the freezer and selling the best kits to help a little with feed costs. I do not know if the Silver Fox breeder I found has her breeders registered or not, nor do I know if they are show quality.

Should I just go with the American Chinchillas?

I would just go with the American Chinchillas for now.

It's a good rabbit and if you can get rabbits from registered breeding stock, with complete pedigrees, you will be off to a great start.

You can pick up the other breed when the opportunity arrives. You'd surprised how many cages you can fill up with a breed that only has one recognized color.

My American Chins were great mother and good foster mothers.

rh3.jpg

Photo: Brothers from A Different Mother.
These orphaned Rhinelander bucks were fostered at one day old to an
American Chinchilla litter and survived. The Rhinelanders' caretaker drove
two hours at night in the rain to get them to a foster rabbit mom.
Bless you, Melanie! These Rhinelanders are beautiful!

Check out my American Chinchilla rabbit info page.
http://www.rabbitgeek.com/chinamerican.html

Have a good day!
Franco Rios<br /><br />__________ Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:11 am __________<br /><br />
ilovehome":1iyhwsxg said:
Actually, the the first set of rabbits were from the drift; they were from 3 different breeders but arrived at my home together. They were all quarantined together, and a closed herd (had never attended a show and no new rabbits added) at the time symptoms appeared. I isolated this rabbit immediately, and she and the kits remained isolated until were dispatched a few weeks later, as were a couple of bucks. There were no problems for two months. Then I bought another rabbit, quarantined it for a month before being added to the barn. And snuffles appeared again a couple of weeks later...

I'm sorry you had such problems with disease after quarantine.

I've had an "open" herd setup. In the ten plus years of rabbit shows, we bought/sold/traded rabbits of all kinds. We went to shows, peoples houses, and conventions. With our small rabbitry we did not have any room to really quarantine. Any rabbits that started sneezing were put down. That was really hard when we had to put down rabbits recently bought for big dollars from some big show breeder. But we did it.

Overall we had a healthy herd. Animals born at our rabbitry were generally disease resistant. Goodness knows they were exposed to just about everything out there on the show circuit.

And we did not use antibiotics.

We had losses but learned not to buy from certain breeders and to cull hard.

Have a better day!
Franco Rios

I was thinking about keeping a sneezer in quarantine, putting all new bunnies right beside it for 30 days. If the bunny showed no symptoms, it passed my minimum standards test and gets admitted to the rabbitry. If it sneezes or snots, it goes directly to the freezer. :eek:)

But I think we have that test available already if you go to rabbit shows at all... and Franco it seems like your healthy open herd with lots of culling is the only way to survive the shows (and big gulp--I put down a $150 e lop this week), but a quarantined closed herd if great if your rabbits are for home use only.

PMcNemar, I may try Silver Foxes in a few months, too, because there is a breeder I trust who sells them. I love big easy going bunnies. Looking forward to seeing what you finally get first!

Latest posts

Back