Alternatives to hanging cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beccasev

Reaction score
I am planning on building cages for meat rabbits. I will also build a shelter- similar to a hoop coop for chickens or a greenhouse, but I wouldn't be able to hang the cages from it. I want a single-level, not stacked.
What are your suggestions for cage stands? I'm planning all-wire cages. I need legs or a rack of some sort to put them on. Any ideas? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

I been building stacking units myself. The one cage I bought used has
those legs one can buy at a store like TSC, farm and country. I think
the price is 13.50 per cage. In order to do a stack, in my setup, that
would be over $ 43 just for the legs. Not happening here with this budget.
I bought the used unit with the 3 cages already put together.
Just finished the second stacker using used materials and I zip tied the
metal bracing to the cages. I reinforced the bottom level for strength.

I am planning on using the 4 legs from a old metal shelf for the next set
of 3 high stacking, I build. If I can get the rusty bolts to let loose that is.
In your case, you could cut the legs in half or find a short shelf.
I have a really nice metal shelf in the house that I plan on taking
apart and using the parts also.

My son also mentioned using 2 by 4's. Cut to the length you want. You could
build a table of some kind. Just the frame. Leave the top open to set the
cage on it, and the droppings would fall to the ground.

The other thing I did was to use light weight metal saw horses. I used
a set of 4 in the chicken coop. That got my 3 hole line cage up in the air
because I could not hang it. This setup is in the addition to our chicken coop.
It's a old carport that is tarped real well. I had to put empty
cages on top of the line cage, to keep the chickens off.
My temporary solution till spring.

I just bought my plastic pans online. Cheapest place to buy them versus
locally. I used to do my own sheet metal work but I sold my 4 ft brake.

I am doing whatever I can on the cheap currently. I need to save my
money for a small bunny buiding and maybe a possible addition to
the chicken coop set up. I plan on asking 2 of my son's to help
with the labor.
My rabbits are inside now in a addition to our garage. Great for the
winter but I don't think it will be a ideal setup in the summer, due
to the heat. But only time will tell. It may work out great.

All my cages are on wooden shelves. I have no metal cutting tools. and it's just me, so it had to be simple. They are stacking because of space, but it would be a cinch to do one level.

One thing you can do, I can't remember who posted this, Grumpy or Secuno, but use a piece of the cattle panel as a self, with wooden legs, and place the cages on it. You can use wood as further lengthwise supports, PVC or conduit. Drill a hole in the wood and run the conduit through it.

I have reused wood that I started with in the 4 yeas I've lived here, some of it left out all winter long, some stripped from the chicken coop. I've painted some, limed others and left others bare to see how they last. Eventually I will have to replace them, but I will probably get a total of 7-10 years out of this wood.

Hubby made frames of rebar; it's cheap and easily welded and sturdy. Each frame holds 2 cages 36" x 24". He made ours so they hang but it would be very easy to have them just sit on the frame instead.

I took four lengths of two by four and - using wood screws and big washers - screwed them to the ends of the cage from the inside of the cage. I screwed them on at an outward angle so that they wouldn't be tippy. Like a saw horse, legs wider at the bottom for stability.

ANYTHING I have put cages on, no matter how narrow the bars, has made manure pancakes so I always hang cages now, even if they are hung on their own legs. :lol:

Thnaks GBov. I like that idea. I may just use that idea. Everything I am coming up with costs more than I want to spend. But if I cut those 2x4 legs on an angle at the top where it is screwed in, that may just work out perfectly.
Thanks everyone else for your ideas too.
Mickey- I wish we had a welder. I would love to do that.

beccasev":3m60eew1 said:
Thnaks GBov. I like that idea. I may just use that idea. Everything I am coming up with costs more than I want to spend. But if I cut those 2x4 legs on an angle at the top where it is screwed in, that may just work out perfectly.
Thanks everyone else for your ideas too.
Mickey- I wish we had a welder. I would love to do that.

I came up with it just after we moved and all my cages were stacked ontop of each other and the rabbits were in danger from fire ants and the place we were renting had lots of old fence posts and the woods had lots of trash and building rubbish in it, and , as they say, "Needs must when the devil drives!"

2x4s look neater and are easier to work with than rotten fence posts but I was grateful for what I could find as it got all my guys off the ground. A couple of cross braces will take the sway out if your cages are long ones.

Back