All the different breeds....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
I'm so confused by the numerous breeds and colors. When reading posts I'm often wondering how to tell the color names of each breeds. It seems as though different breeds have different colorings and then different breeds also have similar colorings to other breeds. Is there is simplified key that would tell me all the different breeds and all the variations of color. Maybe with pictures?

My trio is mixed. I'm sure they are CA/NZ mixes. Though I don't know because Licorice is all black. I think I have read that NZ's can be black. Then my other doe is a grayish-red color. The lady I purchased her from breeds satins, Californian's and New Zealand's. I don't even know if a satin is a breed, or a color or a type of fur. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

It is true. It would be wonderful if the same color had the same name in different breeds, but it isn't always the case. Castor in Rex is chestnut or agouti in other breeds, for example.

NZs come in white, red, blue, black, and broken.

I believe Satin is actually a breed, as well as a fur type in a few other breeds. For instance, you can breed Satins, or you can breed Satin Angoras.

I saw your rabbits. The white one with dark points looks like a typical Californian, though it is possible it is a Cal/NZ mix. The others I don't know. Hopefully someone else will help you out, and I think someone on here has a link to a color chart.

Miss M":4qucgbws said:
The others I don't know. Hopefully someone else will help you out, and I think someone on here has a link to a color chart.

The rabbit on the left in your avatar looks like it is black tortoise shell.
I don't know about breed.

If I had questions about the rabbits I had bought I would start by asking the person I bought them from.

Here is a link to a website that has good pictures and information about colors in rabbits
http://www.nockrabbits.com/coat_colors1.html

Here is another colour chart but it doesnt have pictures attached like the Nock's Rabbits site however if you know your genotypes it is quicker to navigate.
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-ge ... pes-chart/

You still have to look up coat textures individually. Satin is a breed and a type of coat and it is recessive. Here is a link
http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.co ... n-rabbits/

I completely agree that the names can be VERY confusing - how did they come up with the name Smoke pearl? - this is why I try and stick with the genotypes 'aa B_ cchl_ dd E_ ' which is a "Smoke Pearl" rabbit genetically speaking or I just mention the recessives - "a smoke pearl is a blue rabbit with a light shaded gene being expressed" or "its a Siamese Sable that is blue"

These charts do not cover or go into depth of the newer loci or less common coloure like the Dutch 'Du, du(dark), du(white)' the Rufus modifiers that give rich deep reds or Vienna and new mutaions crop up all the time like curly coated asterex, and lutino.

If you post pictures of your rabbits we can help narrow down their colours, many people on this forum have mixed breeds and get all sorts of weird and wonderful colours and it is fun, and sometimes frustrating, to try and figure out what is hiding in their genes

Thank you for all the websites. I will read up.

The previous owners of my trio weren't super informative. Someday we'll upgrade our rabbits if we get into pedigree. For now, it is curiosity and wanting good meat rabbits!

Rabbits are amazing creatures. I have learned so much in the past 2 months.

Dood":pmxof93p said:
many people on this forum have mixed breeds and get all sorts of weird and wonderful colours and it is fun, and sometimes frustrating, to try and figure out what is hiding in their genes

Isn't that the true! That is why I stick with pure breds, and bred only approved colors, to limit genetic surprises. I'm one of those people who hates surprises. I was seriously thinking of making a cross breed color chart. There are some colors that do not even exist in other breeds, like tort is acceptable on mini Rex but not Rex.

I am pretty good at genetics but I hate surprises too, hence I am weeding out my crossbreds and focussing on American Chinchilla - only ONE colour allowed (plus blue), no surprises, unless your nephews let the bunnies 'play' with each other and a magpie shows up in your expensive show quality does nest box! :groooan:

Attachments

• 10 day chin.JPG
    10 day chin.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 539
  • 10 day magpie and chin.JPG
    10 day magpie and chin.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 539
Dood":8immp6e3 said:
no surprises, unless your nephews let the bunnies 'play' with each other and a magpie shows up in your expensive show quality does nest box! :groooan:
:rotfl:

Cute magpie, though! :razz:

He is very cute and since his pop is a 4 pound mini lop he is half the size of his littermates now. My other litter of 5 week Am Chins are 3lb 2oz to 3lb 6oz pounds and nearly as big as his dad.

Back