Alfalfa Hay Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
Can you feed alfalfa hay with Manna Pro pellets and the occasional veggies? I have heard that you can't feed alfalfa because pellets have alfalfa in them already and it's too much protein but is this rumor correct t?

Too much Alfalfa is more of a problem in pet bunnies or low production breeders.

As well as being too rich in protein for adult rabbits that are not growing kits or milk, the point of feeding hay to rabbits is to add fibre - alfalfa hay has quite a bit less than grass hays. Alfalfa also has a very high calcium content and double dosing by feeding alfalfa based pellets and cubes can cause problems later in life.

You really don't want to go over 16% protein, 18 tops for non producing stock (dry does, bucks) 18 to 20% for fryers and pregnant or nursing does. Too much alfalfa causes problems, especially as the rabbit gets older.

If I were going to feed Mana Pro and alfalfa hay, it would be max 50% alfalfa and grass mixed (any hay grass, but preferably something lower in protein and not Timothy unless that was the only mix I could get. Orchard grass, or just mixed pasture grass would be better. The grass is for the fiber more than anything else so mixed with alfalfa, need not provide a lot in the way of nutrition.

Ok I was just wondering if it was doable because we have a lot of cheap alfalfa around here but we have some grass hay too. Timothy's pretty hard to find. So grass hay is better than Timothy?

Have you read some the topics in the Natural feeding forum?

Feeding alfalfa pellets cubes can work if you supplement with whole grains and a salt mineral block. The kits usually don't grow as fast as on 16+ % pellets

Most alfalfa cubes are for horses so they dont usually have 16% protein since horses only need about 12%

In your case, I'd get a bale of alfalfa since it's cheap there and, a bale of grass, then just mix 50/50 before feeding. Timothy is better if you aren't feeding alfalfa but with alfalfa, you don't need the protein Timothy has so, for mixing grass is better.

for my breedstock, I just add a little flake of both alfalfa, and grass hay in each manger, -- they choose how much they want of each, diferent does want diferent amounts of fiber [especially my older ones] -- at my place, this practice keeps everyone happy and healthy, -- and-- they do all the guess work, and I don't have to spend time trying to figgure out how much of each everyone is eating. A trend I have noticed "with my rabbits" is, the older the doe, the more grass hay they want, and the less alfalfa they want. --I "guess" that older rabbits just need more fiber to keep everything moving. When the does are nursing young, I see the alfalfa consumption ratio go up a lot.

My understanding is that timothy hay is about 9-12% protein, while alfalfa hay is 16-18%. Traditional thinking is that one should not feed alfalfa hay if one is feeding pellets, for fear of double-dipping on the protein content. However, it seems to me that a rabbit (unless it is a total pig!) is only going to eat so much of each. One could alternate days -- pellets one day, alfalfa hay the next -- or simply offer less of each.

My rabbits have always done well on alfalfa, but then I do not feed pellets. They get as many greens and fresh foods as the season allows, free choice alfalfa hay, some grass hay and small amounts of grain, usually wheat. They also have a trace mineral salt block. The only problem I have had with rabbit obesity is from overfeeding grain.

MaggieJ":3ndaybmy said:
My understanding is that timothy hay is about 9-12% protein, while alfalfa hay is 16-18%. Traditional thinking is that one should not feed alfalfa hay if one is feeding pellets, for fear of double-dipping on the protein content. However, it seems to me that a rabbit (unless it is a total pig!) is only going to eat so much of each. One could alternate days -- pellets one day, alfalfa hay the next -- or simply offer less of each.

My rabbits have always done well on alfalfa, but then I do not feed pellets. They get as many greens and fresh foods as the season allows, free choice alfalfa hay, some grass hay and small amounts of grain, usually wheat. They also have a trace mineral salt block. The only problem I have had with rabbit obesity is from overfeeding grain.
Do you feed the same thing to your bucks? Just alternate the amounts you feed of everything? Or basically just let them self select how much of the hays to eat?

In a colony, there is no way to regulate individual consumption. I've had does get fat because they ate too much grain but my bucks have generally stayed lean. Maybe chasing the does around gives them sufficient exercise. :mrgreen:

It depends on your rabbits and production rate. With colony rabbits being bred back to back most of the year I fed unlimited 20% protein organic clover/alfalfa hay and 16% pellets rotated with grain. Fill the feeders with pellets and when they empty in a day or 2 fill them with oats, barley, or wheat. Grains are around 12% protein. Gotta watch the oats because they are 7% fat when a rabbit diet should be closer to 3-4% fat. My only fat rabbits were some caged mini rex of a specific line that seemed to get fat just looking at food. I actually had trouble showing my rabbits because they were so lean and muscular from running in the colony and a heavy breeding schedule. I was starting to put juniors in to cages and feed a more pellet rich diet for show when we decided to mostly get out of rabbits.

Now we only have a few netherlands indoors so I feed mostly 18% manna gro, occasional hay, and 1 handful every night of a grain, oil seed, and herb mixture that is in process.

BlueMoods":3d11lmuc said:
In your case, I'd get a bale of alfalfa since it's cheap there and, a bale of grass, then just mix 50/50 before feeding. Timothy is better if you aren't feeding alfalfa but with alfalfa, you don't need the protein Timothy has so, for mixing grass is better.

This is similar to what I do , alfalfa & coastal hay tho I only feed alfalfa to does nearing kindling & those that are nursing.

Everyone else gets coastal hay & their pellet rations.

Back