ah, what are shows for?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
Shows are for the convenience of buyers and sellers of rabbits to have à place to make exchanges. But, it seems other critters may change hands as well. Critters like chinchillas, cavies, dogs, goats, and even tropical fish! I think I'll have to start a small animal transport business. Maybe that way I can afford a vehicle.....

Lol! I've seen kittens and bottle fed goats at shows, and Service Dogs (or pseudo-service dogs!) at shows here... and usually when we have a rabbit show there are cavy shows as well.

I don't recall seeing any other animals besides rabbits at the two shows we've been to, but that's not exactly a large body of experience. :p

What caught my eye about your post? The fact that in the middle of it is an "a" avec l'accent grave -- "à". :lol:

Frosted Rabbits":2fqpahv2 said:
Shows are for the convenience of buyers and sellers of rabbits to have à place to make exchanges. But, it seems other critters may change hands as well. Critters like chinchillas, cavies, dogs, goats, and even tropical fish! I think I'll have to start a small animal transport business. Maybe that way I can afford a vehicle.....

People make good money with transport services. :)

Advertising at a rabbit show might sell chins but it might be too much risk. Rabbit respiratory illnesses are death to chins with minimal that can be done to try to save them. Now exactly how paranoid the chinchilla forum is compared to reality I don't know but I'm trying to maintain my rabbits without finding out. We have a minimum 24hr wait period between anything that touches rabbits or rabbit poop/pee before it can touch chinchillas or be used on anything that will touch chinchillas. Most of the worst illnesses like pasteurella are dead after that long outside the body.

Akane, I will certainly tell the person bringing me the Chin that bit of info, but it mayy be too late' as it has been at her house for the past two weeks.

And the accent grave in my post - the result of doing this stuff on a picky tablet!

Well ours shared a condo for a couple years and we've had them on the same level of the house at times. For awhile we had some young rabbits in the same room as the chin cages. Now the chins are on the main level and the rabbits and guinea pigs in the basement. It's just how it works out for our interaction and space usage. We haven't had a problem yet. I also had that guinea pig with a questionable illness and they are not showing symptoms. It's possible the chin forum is just being paranoid because one outbreak could destroy a chinchilla ranch even more thoroughly than it does a rabbitry but there's no reason not to practice some simple restrictions like washing hands, washing any utensils, not housing them where they can spread stool or urine to each other, and not swapping things directly between species. I would not worry about taking them to a show if first all rabbits taken to the show truly weren't sick and couldn't possibly sneeze around them and second that people would disinfect their hands before interacting with them but I worry one or both of those things together could kill everything.

I am sure my person will keep things as sanitary as possible for "jimmy" - as she show cavies and rabbits. I am praying for a reasonably cool weekend.

Back