Agressive New Zealand Blue

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeyHayHay

Hay
Reaction score
Is aggression a common trait in New Zealand Blue does?

I have a New Zealand Blue doe that kicks and scratches, sometimes bites, when you get close to her.

(Can post a picture if needed.)

Is aggression a common trait in New Zealand Blue does?

I have a New Zealand Blue doe that kicks and scratches, sometimes bites, when you get close to her.

(Can post a picture if needed.)
Aggression can appear in any rabbit of any breed, for a multitude of possible reasons.

The New Zealand is a breed that has been heavily selectively bred for meat and reproductive qualities, with temperament taking a back seat (or none at all) in terms of breeding criteria. I've found that the meat breeds are more likely to include rabbits with temperament issues, though there are plenty of sweet ones too.

Purchasing rabbits from a breeder that values good temperament in the choice of breeding stock is a good way to find a well-tempered rabbit, but it's not a sure thing... Each rabbit is an individual, and a line of snuggly bunnies can still produce the occasional demon rabbit, and vice versa.

Aggression can appear in any rabbit of any breed, for a multitude of possible reasons.

The New Zealand is a breed that has been heavily selectively bred for meat and reproductive qualities, with temperament taking a back seat (or none at all) in terms of breeding criteria. I've found that the meat breeds are more likely to include rabbits with temperament issues, though there are plenty of sweet ones too.

Purchasing rabbits from a breeder that values good temperament in the choice of breeding stock is a good way to find a well-tempered rabbit, but it's not a sure thing... Each rabbit is an individual, and a line of snuggly bunnies can still produce the occasional demon rabbit, and vice versa.
Thank you! This was helpful!

Latest posts

Back