Agouti Himi

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
So, this was a new curveball :lol: :lol:
A self himi will have a solid (self) tail, an agouti one will have white underneath.

So my Cali buck is a self.
But his offspring appear to be agouti based (out of an agouti harle colored dam)
AND out of a REW.

So the difference is just A_ instead of aa?
I have chestnut and what i thought was blue, but being agouti based, are they therefore marten?

If I want to keep self himi, I can breed these gals back to dad and watch for the aa kits, yes?

1: A_ is agouti, aa is self, yep yep.

Lots of calis probably have steel genes, just like lots of rew rabbits do. It might make things a bit trickier if he has it.

2: Blue agouti is opal. It looks a lot like blue martin, but it's not. The opal will eventually have some beige or tan colored ticking in the fur.
Martin(also called tan) is on the agouti locus, and requires the genotype at_ .

3: Yep again.

Sweet, thanks!
I guess short of a multi-generation himi pedigree, you don't know what is lying in wait (even then!).
For our purposes (mutts) it doesn't really matter... just that Royal is such a lovely herd sire, I'd like to keep his nice deep coloring in his kits!
I'll have to watch Bluebell to see if she shows any beige over time.

image.php

Here are some pics of an opal. (A_ B_ C_ dd E_)

It's a lovely color, very easily one of my favorites.

We can see the ticking I was talking about on him quite easily, but,
even if we couldn't see the tawny hairs mixed into the blue, if I still had an opal here, I would have been able to show you a ring of that color by blowing into the fur of an adult.

Attachments

• GEDC1290.JPG
    GEDC1290.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 353
OK, that is gorgeous!! I have seen opal rexes and they don't really turn my crank, but the regular coated opal is so pretty!

Latest posts

Back