Aggressive (?) doe won't breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoPrairie

Reaction score
My daughter has been trying to breed her mini lop doe over the past year. She is now something like 16 months old (we got her last December at 4 months old) and has been tried many times, with this last time resulting in her attacking the buck (according to the buck's owner who did the breeding).

This doe is a grand champion with great lines, and my daughter is just so disappointed that things aren't working out. I've been reading some of the other posts on breeding, but I was wondering if anyone could add any wisdom on how they have dealt with this situation? I'd really like to help my daughter to help her doe, but I have no idea how.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Thanks Mama, I *just* read that post today, and had no idea about that.

What it is, is that I haven't been involved in any of the breeding (save asking questions here) so I really don't have any idea what color her vulva was. We don't have a buck, so whenever Sky tried to have her bred, it's someone else doing it either in our presence (with me as an oblivious onlooker) or the doe is sent for a "breeding vacation" to the buck's house. So really, I only have other people's word/knowledge to go on and none of my own.

CalicoPrairie":25sv4oj6 said:

What it is, is that I haven't been involved in any of the breeding (save asking questions here) so I really don't have any idea what color her vulva was. We don't have a buck, so whenever Sky tried to have her bred, it's someone else doing it either in our presence (with me as an oblivious onlooker) or the doe is sent for a "breeding vacation" to the buck's house. So really, I only have other people's word/knowledge to go on and none of my own.

I am going to suggest that you get a buck of your own...it may be that your doe dislikes being moved from place to place. Transport is stressful for rabbits and some deal with it better than others. Either that, or have them bring the buck to you, put it in an empty cage and let it stay for a bit, then try putting the doe in with the buck, after checking for proper vent color, and see what happens.

OneAcreFarm":3f1mpx7r said:
I am going to suggest that you get a buck of your own...it may be that your doe dislikes being moved from place to place.

Good point, Sistah! :p

:secret: Don't think I didn't notice you taking the "Logical Argument Approach" to foster a bit of Rabbitosis Aquireosis. ;)

If you have your own buck, it will also minimize the risk of your doe becoming ill from exposure to different rabbit herds.

The stress of being tossed around and then expected to breed could also be your issue.
Get your own buck. You're risking the doe's health as well.

So sorry to hear about the problems with your daughter's doe. I have to say the suggestions already given regarding getting your own buck would be your best bet to continue this Great line. You would be able to have a less stressful environment for her. And I think it would be less stressful for you and your daughter having both doe and buck with you.

Karen

MamaSheepdog":3axa0zha said:
Don't think I didn't notice you taking the "Logical Argument Approach" to foster a bit of Rabbitosis Aquireosis.

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: SHHHHH!!!! I am trying to be sneaky over here... :ninja: :)

OneAcreFarm":2vmuh7lb said:
CalicoPrairie":2vmuh7lb said:

I am going to suggest that you get a buck of your own...it may be that your doe dislikes being moved from place to place. Transport is stressful for rabbits and some deal with it better than others. Either that, or have them bring the buck to you, put it in an empty cage and let it stay for a bit, then try putting the doe in with the buck, after checking for proper vent color, and see what happens.
:yeahthat:

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of your input. Yes, I think our own buck would probably be our best bet. It's great to have a place where us novices can get so much help. Thanks again. :)

Latest posts

Back