Age to pet out a rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
My cousin wants one of our rabbits as a pet. This litter will be 6 weeks old on Thursday. Is giving her the bunny Saturday too early? It is eating and drinking very well. Gaining well and has a very sweet personality.

I have gotten "4" week old rabbits and had them be fine ( the marks around the 4 are because I have month old dutch kits that were bigger at the time and it ended up twice the size of the dutch) Some rabbits are fine leaving early...but some aren't...if your cousin has had rabbits before and knows what to watch for the first week or so they have the rabbit it should be fine..if not it may be better to wait another week or two. If they live close though and you can check in on it the first few days I wouldn't be as worried

Generally it is best to wait until 8 weeks because rabbits have very sensitive digestive systems, and the stress of a move can throw off the balance of the gut flora, resulting in enteritis.

If you do let it go on Saturday, I would recommend that it be fed hay and old fashioned oatmeal with limited pellets for the first few days. Also make sure it has a small enclosed area with bedding so it can get off of the wire and conserve its body heat.

I'm waiting until 8 weeks to pet any of mine out. I did get my second rabbit at 6 weeks and we just watched her, no veggies until she was a bit older.

Thank you guys. I will let her know what you said. I'm happy to check in on the bun. She will be just 5 minutes away. So no big deal.<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:05 pm __________<br /><br />Next time I will wait until they are 8 weeks. I don't even know why I said 6 weeks. I guess because I knew she would be weaned by then.

I sell many many bunnies at six weeks of age and 99% of them do well. those that don't (not eating due to stress) are encouraged via parsley and do just fine. Over the past year I've had two unexpected deaths at day three without cause (as they were doing all the necessary stuff before that). (this is out of .... oh... at least 100 kits). So likelihood they would be just fine.

What you do need to be aware of those is the laws in your state and at what age you can let them leave.

Would I call the city to find out what age they can leave? Not sure where I would find that information.

In CA legal age is 8 weeks, so I'm just about certain that Oregon would be the same.

Since the rabbit is going to your cousin, I wouldn't worry too much- but if you are consistently selling to the pet market or to stores you need to know the legal age.

ChickiesnBunnies":1kmz4sw2 said:
You need to follow your State's law, period.

why? Half of those morons don't know their butt from their face, let alone anything about MY rabbits. I let them go when I feel they are ready. (not trying to be argumentative just stating my stand point) anywho to answer your question anywhere from 5-8 weeks but I average about 6-7 and I have not lost rabbit yet.

If you advertise rabbits for sale as 6 weeks old and the law says 8 wk minimum you can get charged/fined/whatever.

If you lie and advertise that they are 8 weeks when they are really 6 then no problem but are you also falsifying the date of birth on the pedigree?

I typically post the rabbits for sale without their age and discuss when they call and most of the pet buyers don't care about pedigrees ( I would never falsify a pedigree)

I list mine at 4-6 weeks and say they will be ready to go at 8weeks. I do sell a few who ask for them outside of my ads at 6 weeks and haven't had a problem. I usually have a reserve list for the netherlands including some people who will wait out winter for some and I don't even have show quality does. I'm trying to get my hands on some but my best doe was dq off the table. My bucks are show quality though.

Zelda, my cousin's bun, is doing quite well. She actually got her at 7 weeks.
I never did call my county or state about the age of a rabbit for sale. I guess I will assume it is 8 weeks henceforth.
Though, I haven't had any interest for rabbit as pets. I wish there was...right now, people want meat.

Back