Age to first breed does and what age to end

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

Reaction score
What age would be best to first breed California does? Is the first breeding based on age or some other factor like weight? Our buns were born on Oct. 6th, 2013 and we aren't planning on breeding them until it warms up anyway which will be around March. I thought I read somewhere that 6 months was a good age but didn't know if it was best to wait until they are older.
Obviously, failure to conceive, small litter size, and small babies would signal an end to breeding a doe. Other than that, what else?
I am sure this question has been asked many times. I initially did a search and ended up with every post containing the word 'doe' or 'breeding'. What is the best way to search on the forum so people don't have to answer the same questions repeatedly? I also went through several pages looking at thread titles and finally gave up.

I think earlier is generally better than later with does and breeding. I'll breed my meat does as soon as they are able and so far that's been about 4.5-5 months old. I haven't (knock on wood) had any issues with poor mothering or litter sizes. In fact the first doe I allowed to breed at 5 months had 14 kits! 8 survived but the 6 that didn't it wasn't because of the doe or her milk - it was an accident.

Age to end? I'm unsure (not there yet with any of my does) but I think you have to right idea, A doe who only has a few litters a year will have a longer career than one who has a litter every six weeks or so.

Hopefully someone else will chime in because I'm relatively new to this and I imagine someone with more years may have a more detailed opinion.

I start my does later, like 7 or 8 months. Cause well, it doesn't hurt me to wait.
Breed is a big part of it though, the larger the breed, the later people tend to start. At 4.5-5 months old my SF and FG cross does are usually in a phase where they are growing fast.

I've also never had a problem with first time mothering, or milk supply.

Latest posts

Back