Age for breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRabbitry

Reaction score
Hi! I’m planning on breeding my holland lops together.. I understand age of 6 for Holland lop does but what about the bucks? What age can I breed him at? What’s recommended?

Thank you!

I’ve also heard that you can breed holland lop does at 5 months.. and I’ve heard it being successful. Is that true too?

TL : DR yea, you can breed them 5 months or even younger and it can work. But you might choose not to, and the bucks might have trouble figuring things out.

Usually this question is broken down into two questions: when CAN they, and when SHOULD they.
Rabbits are capable of reproduction at 8-14 weeks of age (ie that's when they CAN. And yes, sometimes it's as early as 6 weeks and yes there are stories of kits left with mom till 10 weeks and one or more gives birth by then. Not the norm though).

Bucks can take a while to figure out what to do, especially if they and the doe are both unproven/virgins (in the which case they might be 8 months or more before they figure out humping the face doesn't do anything for them).

We breed at 14-18 weeks based on percentage of adult weight (breeding based on percentage of adult weight is a common commercial standard).

At that age, breeding younger bucks to proven (and um... Motivated) does works wonders in helping them figure things out.

Hope that helps.

TL : DR yea, you can breed them 5 months or even younger and it can work. But you might choose not to, and the bucks might have trouble figuring things out.

Usually this question is broken down into two questions: when CAN they, and when SHOULD they.
Rabbits are capable of reproduction at 8-14 weeks of age (ie that's when they CAN. And yes, sometimes it's as early as 6 weeks and yes there are stories of kits left with mom till 10 weeks and one or more gives birth by then. Not the norm though).

Bucks can take a while to figure out what to do, especially if they and the doe are both unproven/virgins (in the which case they might be 8 months or more before they figure out humping the face doesn't do anything for them).

We breed at 14-18 weeks based on percentage of adult weight (breeding based on percentage of adult weight is a common commercial standard).

At that age, breeding younger bucks to proven (and um... Motivated) does works wonders in helping them figure things out.

Hope that helps.
Yes it does! They are both unproven.. My buck is 3 1/2 months and my doe is 4 1/2 months.

But I’ve heard multiple bad stories about breeding does younger than 6 months.. So that’s why I was wondering. I was hoping to breed her at 5 months and him at 4.

Do you think it’s a good idea to do so?

Last edited:
Bucks are typically slower to mature than does. Your doe could conceive at 5 months, but your buck will probably not be ready at 4 months.

I've found that any buck before 6 months of age will not inseminate the doe. We like to wait for anywhere between 6.5-8 months for the first breeding for bucks, depending on how the genitals look. You can certainly try earlier, but you'll probably not have luck with conception.

Bucks are typically slower to mature than does. Your doe could conceive at 5 months, but your buck will probably not be ready at 4 months.

I've found that any buck before 6 months of age will not inseminate the doe. We like to wait for anywhere between 6.5-8 months for the first breeding for bucks, depending on how the genitals look. You can certainly try earlier, but you'll probably not have luck with conception.
How will I know when he’s ready?

Personally, I notice behaviour changes. When they seem more restless than normal, I will check their genitals. You should see a bright red penis stick out when you apply pressure to the area the same way you sex them. If it's small or pale, we just don't breed them. I'm too impatient to wait a month for a doe to kindle to see if he's fertile yet LOL. Having a false pregnancy can be a bit confusing and disruptive for a doe, too, so I try to avoid putting her through that. So I'll check him again next week and breed if he's ready then. If not, wait another week and repeat.

For your doe, if her genitals are pink, she will be ready. If the genitals are red or purple, she is definitely ready and will likely be very receptive. If the genitals are still pale, just hold off with breeding.

Usually Bucks will start spraying, flicking their pee around. Russia (6 months) has entered his 'teenage stage' and rubs his chin on just about everything. They might also try to mount other animals, like Russia has tried mounting my cat, as well as my arm. They also might act differently, grunting angrily (But funnily) when you pick them up.

Does will often start breeding a month or so before their brothers are ready to get things figured out. Some bucks are early bloomers, but you are more likely to find a doe chomping at the bit for a fellow to come by. I start my does at four-five months and the bucks 5-6 months. If not breeding by seven months I tend to let them go to new places. .

Latest posts

Back