age buck will be ready for breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We had to cull the young buck we'd saved from a May litter and the midsummer litters were slower growing--no outstanding kits. So now we're looking at a youngster from a litter kindled 8-28. The best litter we've had this year and he's the best of the litter by a good bit. But when could we expect him to be ready to breed? We don't plan to breed for the next few months. Depending on how the winter goes we may want to start early in March when he'd be 6 to 7 months old. The junior does we kept through last winter and bred this summer were just under and just over 7 moths at first breeding. Would you expect related bucks to mature at about the same age? Or does it take longer for bucks to be ready? Most posts on the subject have been about readiness/best age for first breeding for does. (I know we should keep our current buck until we're sure whoever replaces him is up to the job :) )

I agree with Zass. I do recommend that you start him off with an experienced doe who is ready to breed and doesn't typically get pushy with bucks. In my experience if you put two virgins together it takes longer for them to figure out what to do.

I like my bucks to be at least 7-8 months old. Even then, I watch
them like a hawk. NEVER allow a doe to dominate him, or be rough
with him. Otherwise, he'll become intimidated and you'll end up with
what I call a "shy-breeder".

Some may disagree, but I've found this all too often to be true. Let
a doe hammer a young buck and you've got problems.

grumpy":o9sfzvkn said:
I like my bucks to be at least 7-8 months old. Even then, I watch
them like a hawk. NEVER allow a doe to dominate him, or be rough
with him. Otherwise, he'll become intimidated and you'll end up with
what I call a "shy-breeder".

Some may disagree, but I've found this all too often to be true. Let
a doe hammer a young buck and you've got problems.

Yep my Cumin has taken his share of hits from a doe or two. I step in to stop it immediately, but once the damage is done it will take some time to rebuild their self confidence. People were not kidding when they said rabbit raising has a steep learning curve. :lol: :lol: Pushed my 2nd doe off of him one time and then she went after me.
Received my first rabbit bite that day. It's official, I have now been bitten by every domestic animal known to man. :x :lol: :lol: :lol:

The experienced does I'd start him with have never been aggressive with the buck. They have growled when put back in after a breeding attempt that we weren't confident had been successful but subsequently proved to have been. The doe growled, the buck backed off and we took the doe out. Would you expect a doe who hasn't been aggressive before to attack an inexperienced buck? Does waiting until the buck is 7 or 8 months make it less likely for him to be intimidated?

Rainey":1luzague said:
The experienced does I'd start him with have never been aggressive with the buck. They have growled when put back in after a breeding attempt that we weren't confident had been successful but subsequently proved to have been. The doe growled, the buck backed off and we took the doe out. Would you expect a doe who hasn't been aggressive before to attack an inexperienced buck? Does waiting until the buck is 7 or 8 months make it less likely for him to be intimidated?

Yes..... He's more mature, although still what I'd call a teenager.
Some does are just hammerheads when it comes to being around
a buck. Not all....but most certainly some.

Latest posts

Back