After the rabbit wringer...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
After the rabbits are killed do you slit the neck and hang it? Do you chop off the head? Husband preparing to harvest, not sure the best way to remove head.

If you use the Wringer correctly, you can just cut the head off. The neck should have completely separated, leaving mainly fur and skin holding the head on....

Aha! That is what I was wondering. No bone to cut through. Thank you!

I am in love with my $15 titanium scissors. They beat any shears and they actually go through dewlaps. Dewlaps can be harder to cut through than bone sometimes because it's just squishy. I end up doing a double slicing motion sliding my shears along either side instead of cutting scissor fashion. Then you just have to find the separation in the neck bones. Although most shears and good scissors will cut through a rabbit neck. Even full grown 20lb adults with a little effort. I've done it plenty of times since I use a pellet rifle instead of cervical dislocation. It's cutting through the back legs to get the feet off that takes a good pair of heavy duty shears when butchering adult large breeds. Even my titanium scissors won't do that.

My MIL (bless her heart!) got me a CutCo fishing knife for Christmas. Even without stretching the neck that knife is sharp enough to take a head right off with little effort. My method is pellet gun to back of head, hang by feet, start cutting at the back of the neck/base of skull, yank on ears to separate vertebra slightly (doesn't take much effort) and finish cutting. Before then I was working at it forever with a pair of kitchen shears.

Tegan":rmitdyr3 said:
yank on ears to separate vertebra slightly

Why have I never thought to do that? :?

I use pruning shears to cut the head off, but I am going to try your method, Tegan. Thanks for the tip! :)

The deed has been done. One is an 8 pounder, who was docile. The second little 5 1/2 pounder fought quite a bit. Hubby didn't care for that. He hung them by their feet once dead and used a sharp knife and removed the head. There was some blood spray. Now I let him get to the dirty business. Before our 3 year old wakes up from her nap hopefully!!

Next...how to cook for the first time? We watched a video where a chef brined it over-night in salt water. Then he boiled it for 2 or 3 hours. Picked the meat off the bones. Should I make a soup? A stew? A casserole? Recommendations?

Let it rest in the fridge for 3 days or so until it comes out of rigor. I have aged it in plain water, but now I just put it in a ziploc bag and remove as much air as possible.

One of our favorite meals is rabbit tacos, and in fact that was the way we ate our first rabbit. It was less disturbing than a rabbit-shaped meal. ;)

I simmer the meat in water (save that for broth!) and shred the meat. You may want to use a crockpot on low all day for the older rabbit.

We then put that in a skillet with a bit of broth and Pace Picante sauce to cover. Serve with the usual taco additions. They are good with just chopped onions and cilantro, but you can of course use shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, olives, etc.

MamaSheepdog":2658115f said:
Let it rest in the fridge for 3 days or so until it comes out of rigor. I have aged it in plain water, but now I just put it in a ziploc bag and remove as much air as possible.

One of our favorite meals is rabbit tacos, and in fact that was the way we ate our first rabbit. It was less disturbing than a rabbit-shaped meal. ;)

I simmer the meat in water (save that for broth!) and shred the meat. You may want to use a crockpot on low all day for the older rabbit.

We then put that in a skillet with a bit of broth and Pace Picante sauce to cover. Serve with the usual taco additions. They are good with just chopped onions and cilantro, but you can of course use shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, olives, etc.

Totally going to do this!! Thanks!

You can make Bunnaritos, Sloppy Hoppies, Rabbitacos, all kinds of yummy things with rabbit meat!

I hang then hold the rabbit tight towards me by the ears and cut through from the back of the neck. After a few uses, you need a sharper knife, that darn hair gets in the way, it's so annoying. But if you stab and then use that hole to cut the rest of the way, it's easy. I much rather slice at it once and be done with it, but the hair doesn't always let me...

From MSD --> Let it rest in the fridge for 3 days or so until it comes out of rigor.

:yeahthat:

MamaSheepdog":wuxv851x said:
Tegan":wuxv851x said:
yank on ears to separate vertebra slightly

Why have I never thought to do that? :?

I use pruning shears to cut the head off, but I am going to try your method, Tegan. Thanks for the tip! :)

Lol omg I did the same thing with the shears! I thought I was being a bit "wrong turn" for a moment till I saw someone else did the same lol! Ehh hate those horror movies..

Tip on the blood spray - hang upside down and let the blood pool in the head before you cut it off.

Well, it works on chickens.... :D

UK-backyardbunnies":219sqw2k said:
Tip on the blood spray - hang upside down and let the blood pool in the head before you cut it off.

Well, it works on chickens.... :D

Yep, sometimes we use the Wringer, hang, slit the neck to bleed it out quick and start skinning while it bleeds. And sometimes we hang it and then wait a minute and cut the head off first. Depends on whether I am saving the fur or not.

So here is another question hubby wonders......What do you do with a full bladder? He was getting peed on while he was gutting the rabbits.

Maxine":1d980j1g said:
So here is another question hubby wonders......What do you do with a full bladder? He was getting peed on while he was gutting the rabbits.

1) Stand to one side :twisted:
2) Hope fervently they've gone before you do the deed

Seriously, I do my best to get the pelt below the bladder before I pull on it then I split the pelvis so I can can pull that end off without spillage. If I'm lucky everything goes well

He is likely moving too fast and somehow rupturing it....I have never been peed on while cleaning a rabbit, but I take my time.

Back