After sickness/death how do we clean our cage?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
We have a 3 hole stack with slide out dropping pans in our attached garage. Recently we had a Holland Lop who lived in the bottom cage in the stack that was sick and ended up being put to sleep. We are concerned that he had something wrong with him since we got him about 4 weeks ago.

I would like to re-use the cage ASAP but only after I'm certain that it's safe for another rabbit. We are in Michigan and it's about 32 degrees outside so power washing it isn't an option. There are 2 other bunnies that live in the top and middle holes. In addition there is another 3 hole stack right beside this one with only a sheet of cardboard separating the stacks.

What will be the easiest and most effective way to clean this cage so it's safe to use again (soon)?

Setup looks like this:

Stack1---- Stack2
Bunny ---- Bunny
Bunny ---- Bunny
Bunny ---- Empty(needs to be cleaned)

So far I've emptied everything out (food dishes, water bottles, any last pieces of hay/hair, cleaned the floor with a wire brush to remove any poo fragments). I've also sprayed it out with a vinegar/water mix in a spray bottle.

What else can I do that will clean it out, but not make my other bunnies in the vicinity sick from the smell, etc?

Thank you.

When I have an issue with disease of any kind (which thankfully hasn't been for a lo-o-ong time!), I get a little crazy when it comes to sanitizing. A favorite is putting vinegar in a steam cleaner- I figure between the antibacterial properties of the vinegar itself and the high heat, not much will survive. Bleach and water is another good choice- but make sure to rinse with water after to remove all of the bleach since it dries to a salt and can rust the wire. Betadine (povidone iodine) is another good choice. My final treatment, and the only that I do not rinse, is rubbing alcohol applied with a spray bottle.

I'm sorry you lost the rabbit. I know you tried very hard to save him. :(

Vinegar is great for general cleaning, but on many other boards (mostly chicken related) I kept hearing about a product I could never find, until one day I came across it: Sol-U-Guard Botanical. I probably could never find it, because it is sold by Melaleuca, and you have to be a member to purchase their products, so once I became a member, then voila! It is an all natural disinfectant that kills 99.99% of bacteria including eColi, staph, etc. It contains citric acid & thyme oil, so everything smells herbaly when you are done. It does not even need to be rinsed! I spray it on a paper towel for just general cleaning or spray it directly on the surfaces for deep cleaning (like between litters or residents...) It is concentrated, so you dilute to your own need. I have felt confident about using this even with the youngest kits (or chicks).

MamaSheepdog":s1084qcn said:
When I have an issue with disease of any kind (which thankfully hasn't been for a lo-o-ong time!), I get a little crazy when it comes to sanitizing. A favorite is putting vinegar in a steam cleaner- I figure between the antibacterial properties of the vinegar itself and the high heat, not much will survive. Bleach and water is another good choice- but make sure to rinse with water after to remove all of the bleach since it dries to a salt and can rust the wire. Betadine (povidone iodine) is another good choice. My final treatment, and the only that I do not rinse, is rubbing alcohol applied with a spray bottle. :(

great post,
I would add- I start by using a wire brush, and then propane torch for hair removal, then move on to cleaning with "liquid cleaners" .

Latest posts

Back