advice on breeding my buck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobious

Reaction score
It was breeding day today, and my young bucks turn to pop his man cherry. We put an older doe in with him, amd she was quite ready, kept humping his face and chasing him around. He did cover her 3 times, but he didn't quite fall off, just slumped over a little bit. After that she continued to hump his face and now I'm worried he's going to be too afraid to breed in the future. She bit him too at one point right before I removed her. So my questions are:
Would you consider it a successful breeding since he slumped over three separate times?
If not should I put her in there again, or with a senior buck?
Should I wait till a young doe is ready to breed my buck again, or, should I wait till my other senior doe (who's a little more subdued) is ready in a month and a half?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

If he fell off, than I would say it was successful.
If he had a slightly rough first time, maybe wait to breed him with an experienced doe again. If the young doe freaks out he may be traumatized.

If he did it three times I would bet he hit the mark, not all bucks fall off spectacular. Chosing a dominant doe which imho wasn't really craving for a buck - well, wouldn't have been my first choice (not that I have much choice anyway when the time comes :D), or I would have interfered with her humping and chasing him, but now that he knows what does are for he may be more confident next time.

No matter what doe, I would interfere if she starts attacking him, even by holding her, but since he coped with that doe anyway I think he's fine.

I had my own buck troubles, compared to that your buck did fine :)

Thanks for the advice, I know that the doe was really in heat since I checked her vent, but I'm just thinking she needs the "ahem" firm hand from my older buck. I'll give my little guy a break until my other nicer doe is ready after she has her babies. He's basically the nicest friendliest rabbit I've got and I don't want him to be traumatized from my angry horny cougar doe.

Latest posts

Back