ADVICE NEEDED! this ever happen to you? (video included)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjinx113

Reaction score
hi there, newbie rabbit owner here. i've been raising rabbits over the summer so i do have some experience (it's been a wild ride), but this bunny isn't domesticated like my others. she's a wild one that was nearly hit by a pick by some workers outside and they handed it off to us. the bunny had been 100% fine until i fed it a large apple slice yesterday. it was acting normally in the morning but in the evening it was suddenly behaving very bizarrely. it blew up like a balloon and can hardly stand correctly. you can see her odd behavior in this video i just recorded:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OmTuHV8Ys[/youtube]

has anyone had a similar problem? have your rabbits ever recovered from this? i'm nervous but i know that whatever happens was probably nature's plan anyway. god, i really do love this bunny. :weep: :weep: :weep:

Where do you live appr., what kind of rabbit is this?

Switch to hay, that usually doesn't cause any harm. A large apple slice may have upset this lil guys tummy, every rapid change in diet can, sorry, don't know any advice except hay and water.

But that bunny looks very bad and in pain, I hope someone else has more experience with something like that, would soft massage of the belly help, or make it worse, dunno.

I wonder if she is having an allergic reaction? I agree with Preitler---giving a large piece of apple could definitely give a bunny a tummy ache. Their systems are so delicate, so hay and water would be a great way to help her get back on her feet. Perhaps Probios may help too, but I'm not positive on that.

Her poops look normal in the video, have they gotten loose or anything? Are they still consistent? Is she drinking water?

Preitler":nw44lbcz said:
Where do you live appr., what kind of rabbit is this?

Switch to hay, that usually doesn't cause any harm. A large apple slice may have upset this lil guys tummy, every rapid change in diet can, sorry, don't know any advice except hay and water.

But that bunny looks very bad and in pain, I hope someone else has more experience with something like that, would soft massage of the belly help, or make it worse, dunno.

CalicoPrairie":nw44lbcz said:
I wonder if she is having an allergic reaction? I agree with Preitler---giving a large piece of apple could definitely give a bunny a tummy ache. Their systems are so delicate, so hay and water would be a great way to help her get back on her feet. Perhaps Probios may help too, but I'm not positive on that.

Her poops look normal in the video, have they gotten loose or anything? Are they still consistent? Is she drinking water?

thank you for the concern everyone. someone told me on a different forum that she was suffering from bloat due to the apple, and most buns don't recover at this very young age. i took Bob to the vet the night of posting that and got her on some simethicone and metacam. they told me to feed her hay and pellets rather than pellets and greens, i upgraded her cage and put a mild heat lamp over the cage to keep her warm as well as some towels and shirts. she's doing great and is getting more coordinated by the hour! i was sure that this would be the end of little Bob Barker...but things are looking pretty bright. :bunnyhop:

Preitler, i live in new england USA and this is a cottontail. there were some workers outside and one almost smashed it with a pick. then he scooped it up and handed it off to us (without knowing i already raise rabbits :p ). ironically this bun was more docile than any of my domesticated ones, so we figured why not?

Calico, Bob had been drinking/eating/pooping consistently even while afflicted. she could hardly walk straight and had to somersault/roll to her next destination but she still ate and everything. some rabbits suffering from bloat will become lethargic and not eat, or have diarrhea poops which are both signs of critical bloat. i guess it's all just an ongoing learning experience :group-hug2:

-- Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:34 am --

here's bob at the vet! (and Bob in her cage)

Attachments

• 20150920_093515_HDR.jpg
    20150920_093515_HDR.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 570
  • 12032056_10205178955568850_1158343931066631312_n.jpg
    12032056_10205178955568850_1158343931066631312_n.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 569
:thewave: :wr_power:

Great work, good to hear bunny is recovering.

It sure doesn't look like a domestic or wild european rabbit (what is practically the same).

Man, am I happy to live close to Balkan, sure there are also too much laws, many of them stupid, but as long as I don't bother others or brag around I'm not very worried about ignoring one law or the other. But, of course, it sure helps to know the law to ignore it properly :D

On the other hand, wild animals are not always easy to keep adequately, no clue about cottontails, but I had a litter sired by a wild rabbit - they sure were different. Mayby there's a wildlife station or something you could talk to how to proceed (if you like), or, the vet should know what to consider.

I am glad the little one is feeling better, but very soon that tame sweet little bunny is going to realize it is a wild thing. When that happens it may bash itself repeatedly against the wire of the cage until it kills itself. :( :x :(

It looks old enough to fend for itself- young cottontails have a white spot on their forehead- so I would recommend that as soon as it has seemingly recovered that you release it. <br /><br /> -- Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:55 pm -- <br /><br /> I found a post that I would like you to read- this was another little cottontail at the stage I described above, when he realized he was wild:

post228834.html#p228834

You might want to read the whole thread to see how the rabbit behaved initially and what she fed it while in her care.

Latest posts

Back