Adopted First Rabbit Question?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caseman97

Reaction score
Hello, I just adopted my first rabbit and obviously have some questions. He is a Holland lop named Albert. I am fortunate enough to live beside a creek in London Ontario. I am wondering if I can forage grass from the river bank to feed Albert, instead of getting hay? I am on a tight budget and have no transport to get a bail of hay. I do not want to poison him.

Also, can he eat grass cuttings and weeds after I mow the lawn? I have Timothy pellets, lettuce, and other greens that I grow in a hydroponic Kratky system for him, but I did not realize that they need hay more than anything else.

Not sure where to go from here and any help would be much appreciated! Thank you and God bless...

IMHO all grasses are OK. It's just some may be better than others. If you're collecting from the river bank, you can harvest the tallest ones for effecientcy.
Lawn mowings are not recommended because it starts composting quickly specially if you're bagging. However if you cut some grasses from you lawn by hand it's fine. A better option is to have the rabbit graze directly. If you have a cage with a flat top, you can flip it over on the lawn so the rabbit can access the grass.

Last edited:
IMHO all grasses are OK. It's just some may be better than others. If you're collecting from the river bank, you can harvest the tallest ones for effecientcy.
Lawn mowings are not recommended because it starts composting quickly specially if you're bagging. However if you cut some grasses from you lawn by hand it's fine. A better option is to have the rabbit graze directly. If you have a cage with a flat top, you can flip it over on the lawn so the rabbit can access the grass.
That's what I was thinking- When we bring multiple rabbits outside, we use cage tops so they don't run free so they don't escape out the fence

BTW since it's a new rabbit you should go easy on introducing new foods by doing it one at a time and just a little at a time. Rabbits can easily get upset stomachs resulting in GI statis. Check for changes in their poop for signs of stomach problems.

Just so you know rabbits are fine just eating pellets.

Buying hay from a farmer is cheaper than pet store hay. Around London lots of farmers.... I'm a near neighbour to you.

Rabbits can eat a wide variety of greens. Avoid cauliflower and broccoli with Holland lops.

Just so you know rabbits are fine just eating pellets.

Buying hay from a farmer is cheaper than pet store hay. Around London lots of farmers.... I'm a near neighbour to you.

Rabbits can eat a wide variety of greens. Avoid cauliflower and broccoli with Holland lops.
Thank you. So, I do not really need hay at all? I have no vehicle at the moment, and I was hoping that all the dead grass along the creek would do?

Thank you. So, I do not really need hay at all? I have no vehicle at the moment, and I was hoping that all the dead grass along the creek would do?

Congratulations on your new bunny! I would go for the dry grasses over the green. Maybe you can cut the tops and avoid the wet roots. I'll reemphasize introducing a little bit of one new plant at a time to make sure Albert tolerates it...if he does, you can slowly increase the amount you offer. If you don't know how he was fed before, this will be especially important. Also, make sure anything you forage is free of pesticides.

Back