Adding another breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar

Reaction score
Ok so I'm new in the whole rabbit thing, and I have a Rex doe and a Mini lop buck,I would like to add another breed into my "rabbittry" so any recommendations on what breed I should get? Is any breed better at breeding than the other? <br /><br /> -- Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:19 pm -- <br /><br /> I have broken but I would like to add some fawn in there.

What are your goals for your rabbitry? (I take it you've got a standard Rex and not a mini.)

Are you breeding to eat? And pretty colors?
Are you breeding to show?
Are you breeding for the pet market?

If you're breeding to eat, you'll want to get into the commercial types, that have the better meat to bone ratios; Californians, New Zealands, Florida Whites.
However, if what you've got is what you got and nothing promising is coming up locally, then save a buck from your first litter and grow him. Breed him back to his Rex mother. That way the resultant offspring is 3/4 Rex and only 1/4 lop. That way future generations get bigger from your 1st generation buck instead of smaller from the Founding buck.

I'm breeding more for show and fur, but could also be a pet, knowing my dad we will probably eat them too unless for if they are nasty tasting. I want something that comes in a variety of colors and has a good temperament and is a good parent and an easy breeder but also hardy and easy to find. Is there anything like that? :oops:

"I want something that comes in a variety of colors and has a good temperament and is a good parent and an easy breeder but also hardy and easy to find. Is there anything like that?"

LOL, some breeds are easier than others, but no breed is all of the above. Rabbits, like people, have individual temperments, health issues, parenting qualities, and stud abilities. There are Rock Stars and Duds in every breed, it's just a matter of finding them or more likely, breeding them. Set goals for your rabbits, pick one or two of the above statement and work on those. Then once those are accomplished, pick one or two more goals. Eventually you'll have what you want! It may take a couple years and eating a lot of rabbits to get there. There is the saying, "Keep the best, eat the rest."

I think I would choose good temperament and variety of colors, does that shorten it quite a bit, what would you recommend?

Temperament and health have much more to do with bloodline than breed.

Actually, almost everything has more to do with bloodline than breed..
You mentioned that rabbit breeders are few and far between in your area right?
So, if you can find a good breeder in your area with healthy, pretty colored and nice tempered rabbits than I think just about any breed would do, right?

You might want to steer clear of any rabbit with dwarf genes if meat production is a goal, which is why I recommended against holland lops in a different thread. Ladysown did mention that even those can make a decent meal, so if showing and selling are more important than eating, than I think it would be worth looking into.

Oscar":1f8shkeb said:
Thanks Zas but what breed do you think would look good with a broken black mini lop buck or a broken Rex doe?

If you want to show, another mini lop or rex, since you need pure breeds that conform to arba standards to show them. It's hard to show if you can't travel around quite a bit though.

Both rex and mini lops do come in a lovely variety of colors and have meat production potential. :)

Since you already have brokens, non broken colors are best to cross to them.

If you are wanting to show, purebred rabbits are the way to go. Sticking with Mini Lops might be a good choice for you. They have plenty of colors, they are usually fairly common at shows, and they are a decent size for meat. As previously stated, temperament and health are dependent on lines.

Another choice could be Dutch, a small-medium breed. Dutch come in a few different colors. They are supposed to have certain markings in order to be showable and not every bunny born has the right markings. Those mismarked individuals would be good for eating or to sell as pets. Dutch are generally even tempered and in my experience are good mothers.

Finally, I would suggest Tans. They come in 4 colors. They are somewhat small but the author of Storey's Guides to Raising Rabbits recommends them for home meat production. They are attractive rabbits with their lean, upright bodies and striking colors. They are said to be good mothers and friendly. If I were to add a second breed to my rabbitry, it would be Tans.

If you can, get to a rabbit show and look around. Don't be afraid to ask people about their rabbits. Most exhibitors will talk your ears off and will happily answer your questions. Find a few breeds you like and research them. Look up what desirable traits are for those breeds and then find out who is a good breeder to buy from.

Standard Satins. Loads of colors, good for meat (culls), nice fur, and mine are all very nice and friendly. Should be common enough, very popular show animals. You'll need to have pures to show. Crosses are fine for meat and btw, they taste delicious!

Sticking with Mini Lops might be a good choice for you. They have plenty of colors, they are usually fairly common at shows, and they are a decent size for meat. As previously stated, temperament and health are dependent on lines.

My mini must have some pritty good temperament lines because he is sooooooooo sweet :roll: and just wants you to love him while my other rabbit (Rex) just runs away and he always loves food is that normal?

Latest posts

Back