About what do you think it costs to raise a fryer?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currituckbun

Reaction score
Grocery store prices are headed up. Have you noticed. Some of us have had our ear to the ground this last year and we have been stocking up on items in the pantry, finding alternative ways to provide for our families, pushing towards self sufficiently . I am just starting on this adventure but because of the rabbits I am seeing rewards right away.
I just went to the grocery store and experienced a true aha moment we talk about in teaching. These prices reflect what I would buy for a family of four: small package of chicken boneless breast $8.00, ribeye steak around $25, ham steak $4.99 would need 1& 1/2 ,so $7.50. Chuck roast $9.60 some leftovers. We are not big eaters and I always try to have some kind of fresh veggie or frozen along with a starch. Now rabbit raising costs ??? I think I am getting one fryer for around $ 4.00-$5.00.
My question is what does it cost you to bring your rabbits to the table?
I have taken into account the costs of bedding, hay , and cleaning supplies as well as food. I am not taking into account start up costs.
This does reflect a mostly pellet diet which does go down in the growing season because I can supplement with fresh foliage.

I wish I had the skill to do the breakdown. I definitely know I'm not saving any money this way, just not producing enough buns to offset the cost. Basically this is just one of my crazy hobbies, because I enjoy animals and love the idea of homesteading.

$5.50 hay (last three mos)
$60 pellets (4x a month %14.95)

can't really figure electricity and extra water
average of seven kits per litter, culling approx 5 for food.

I have figured that it costs us about $1.25 - $1.75 per dressed pound of rabbit. This does not count the cost of feeding just the fryers, but the whole rabbitry. I do not count startup or rare recurring purchases (like the new floors I just ordered).

If we butcher at 10 weeks, the cost is about $1.25 per pound (or did I figure that amount for 12 weeks? I can't remember.). For each additional bag of feed we go through after that before they are butchered, the cost goes up $.25 per pound.

Definitely cheaper than buying meat at the store! Even chicken is usually more than that these days.

curlysue":143o2x22 said:
At least you know whats in it.no growth hormones or antibiotics.
IMHO that's the most important reason. Going to the grocery store is like walking through a mine field; seems like everything has hidden chemicals in it including meat and raw veggies.

hoodat":3ao2m46f said:
curlysue":3ao2m46f said:
IMHO that's the most important reason.

I agree. When we buy food, we don't factor the negative health effects into the cost of our choices, so it seems less expensive but the costs are often higher in the end.

We figured ours at about $3.50 per pound to bring to the table. We raise ours colony style, so we don't have the bedding cost.

MamaSheepdog":33o7vopd said:
hoodat":33o7vopd said:
curlysue":33o7vopd said:
IMHO that's the most important reason.

I agree. When we buy food, we don't factor the negative health effects into the cost of our choices, so it seems less expensive but the costs are often higher in the end.

So true. And after the big dog food scare (I was feeding raw then too) I will do anything to keep from feeding my dogs hormone injected food.

I forgot to add that I was taking into account the selling of some to pay for feed. I have been able to keep costs down a bit recently by selling breeding stock of the silver fox.

I need to figure out costs for that reason as well so I know their cash or barter value.

Latest posts

Back