About this Dwarf Gene

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKirst

Reaction score
I was reading a website that says if a Mini Rex doesn't have the Dwarf gene it's not supposed to be on the show table because it doesn't represent the Mini Rex.

So, now how do I know if Jack and CupCakes babies have the Dwarf gene ? I didn't see any peanuts. Are the ears the only way I can tell for sure, I read another website that said if the ears are smaller than what the standard calls for (3.5 inches) - then they are true dwarfs. Is this the only way to know for sure ?

Here's a really good article that explains about the dwarf gene. I read this when I was considering hollands.

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-ge ... s-peanuts/

"False" dwarfs have longer ears and back feet.

And the person who wrote this informative article does also shows "false". To get a judge's opinion on her doe or buck.

Just like color genetics, dwarf gene was a bit confusing for me also.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Ok thanks. That was one of the websites I did read .. that's why I wanted to ask here because different websites say different things.

I was just wondering how Mini Rex are shown as a Junior (known dwarf or not) if we don't know the true weight till Senior age.

I guess just show the rabbit and see what the Judge say huh ?

MKirst":2o0xunz6 said:
Ok thanks. That was one of the websites I did read .. that's why I wanted to ask here because different websites say different things.

I was just wondering how Mini Rex are shown as a Junior (known dwarf or not) if we don't know the true weight till Senior age.

I would just show the rabbit to see what the Judge says. Could be an advantage to you. False does are considered good brood does, so knowing what a Judge thinks of her at Jr, and she is too big at Senior, could help you decide whether to keep the false doe as a brood. Good qualities to pass on and can still give you dwarfs because she still carries a dwarf gene.

Karen

Personally from what I've seen I don't think there is a dwarf gene. I think there is a bunch of modifier genes for size and mini rex definitely have them. I got a litter of 90% peanuts once out of a very well known line of mini rex in the area. Never made that pairing again. The great grandsire was definitely a dwarf and the judge said the best mini rex he'd ever laid his hands on. The son I got was more normal sized and then he threw small kits about 50% of the time. I have one right now I was going to get some pics and opinions on. Maybe even take to show next year but I have no other mini rex so I don't know if he's worth keeping just for that. I think dwarf genes stack and eventually you get too many and get peanuts or you can have just a few. There are too many sizes of rabbits and peanuts not showing up predictably for there to be 1 gene set controlling everything.

MKirst":3nh163i6 said:

For all breeds there is a jr weight and a senior weight, with some breeds like NZW and Silver Fox, having 6 weight/age classes.

Mini Rex have a weight range that they must be in in order to show in that class... It has nothing to do with whether the dwarf gene is present, if your Mini Rex falls within the guidelines you can place it in that class.HOWEVER there are other factors as well, including ear length that may get them booted off the table. Your breeding program must then exclude any long, rangy or large eared rabbits which are not going to compete well on the tables.This generally means those that don't have a dwarf gene. Breeding 2 dwarfs WILL get you peanuts, its just a fact of life if you want to show this breed of rabbit. Getting double dwarfs is a 25% chance for EACH KIT. Therefore some litters may have a lot of peanuts or there may be none. This gene pairing is random just like all the other gene pairings for each kit.

Back