? about the resting process

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
Am I supposed to let the rabbit go through rigor BEFORE breaking it down (quartering it), or can I go ahead and cut it up and then let it finish resting?

You can do it either way. :) If you want to do it beforehand, you would just need to have it done before they go into rigor. If you don't, you'd probably just have to wait to finish after rigor passes. I imagine trying to cut them up during rigor would be very, very difficult.

Lately, I've been quartering mine immediately and then letting them rest in the fridge while brining. It takes less space, since I feed the rib cages to my dogs. Same results as quartering after.

I find that sometimes I intend to go back and cut up, but I get busy and end up just throwing them in the freezer whole.

I heard that you break them down immediately or that you put them in a tub of milk for a while then break them down after rigor and them brine them. Any thoughts on this? It was a quite elderly gentleman who passed this on to me so I have no idea if that is right or? The milk bit threw me off and now I just have no idea how long to do that if anyone still does that? :?

My guess is that he ate wild rabbits. I know that milk is often used to remove some of the "gamey" flavor of wild meats like venison.

I don't rest mine any longer than it takes to bag them or thaw them but I don't fry meat so it doesn't make a difference for me.

I find they are more gooey/slimey if done immediately and the texture throws me off, it also makes them harder to hold :D so wait a day or so to quarter them.

Miss M":3k5nwds7 said:
My guess is that he ate wild rabbits. I know that milk is often used to remove some of the "gamey" flavor of wild meats like venison.

That is what I was going to say. Milk is used with wild game.

I used to leave them whole, but now I'm cutting them up before I put them in the freezor. I bagged tenderloins,legs,and arms separate so they take up less room. My dog doesn't like the ribcage, but she like where the joints meet the body at the back leg. So once I chop off the hindlegs and take off the loin, I cut that off and throw it to her cause it still has some nice bits of meat on it. My boxer is a bit of a dainty thing and so is my BF's dog...they try to gently eat other parts I'm guessing because it's a different feel than their kibble. Cutting it up prior allows you to take up less space and you can decide what you need for certain recipes.

TMTex":1f6o0oql said:
Lately, I've been quartering mine immediately and then letting them rest in the fridge while brining. It takes less space, since I feed the rib cages to my dogs. Same results as quartering after.

We have done it before and after resting. This last time, we rested them whole in a large cooler filled with ice since we were too tired to mess with them any more that night.

i usually butcher rabbits as i need them for meals. sometimes ill butcher one and have it in the oven or pot while its still wiggleing.often ill jus cook what i need for a meal and have some raw parts left over.i quarter everything while im butchering.

the leftover parts may be in the frige for 24 hrs or 3 days. i dont really notice any difference.if i make a meal of it today and then cook the rest of the raw rabbit 3 days from now, i really dont notice any difference in tenderness or taste.a young rabbit butchered at the proper time will be good eating.

coffeenutdesigns":27zj4wz4 said:
OAF, have you noticed a difference in doing it before or after?

There is a small difference in tenderness if you freeze right away and rest after thawing than if you rest before you freeze. Not that much really, so we do it both ways, depending on how much time we have to get it all put away.

Back