AAARGH! A cage bit me

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodat

Reaction score
I've never had a biting rabbit but a couple of days ago I was moving cages around and left the corner of one sticking out, then ran into the darn thing a couple of minutes later. I swear when you get to my age your skin gets like tissue paper. To make it worse I'm on Warfarin blood thinner so something like that takes forever to quit bleeding. Had to put off some planned butchering. I don't want to butcher when I have a still new tear on my arm.

Yes, I remember my grandpa was over here, my puppy jumped on his arm and oh my lord... BLOOD. Everywhere. My mom freaked out saying it was as if his skin was tissue paper.

Tip for next time: crush up some yarrow (or shew and spit) and bandage some onto the wound. Works WONDERS for people on blood thinners or that get cut easily. Secret: Natural blood clotter.

Sorry that the equipment's attacking you, hoodat! I really know what you mean, though: as a quilter, I deal with sharp objects frequently, especially straight pins. Several years ago, maybe 2 or 3 years after learning to make quilts (which was in 2000), I decided that an item wasn't "a quilt" unless I had bled on it at some point during its construction.

This became very "fun" after each of my knee-replacement operations! (Ya gotta take blood thinners after that kind of surgery to prevent the formation of blood clots.)

I did my fabric cutting in advance for the April 2007 operation, but didn't have time for the November 2010 op. It didn't matter: I clotted ON THE TABLE and had to take the stupid med for almost three months. Bleah. No way I could've cut that much fabric!

I feel for you...What with the large dogs around here and the cats often struggling when I clip their toenails, I looked like I'd been through a sawmill or something for a while there.

Hope you heal up quickly. :)

I feel your pain! I constantly have deep, ugly, gushing wounds on my arms and it never seems to be from the rabbits. Those cages are vicious attackers! ;)

If I don't have a gash, scratch, gouge, stab, slice, or 'ooowey' someplace on my body.
I ain't been down to the rabbit room. :p

Breeding day, (which is today) is especially fun. :x

Luggin' those 9-11 pound does up and down the aisles
is a sure fire guarantee for a half/dozen GOOD ones.
I've got 8 or 10 I want to get bred today.
No doubt I'll be 'sliced' and 'diced' by this evening.

Use a 5-gallon bucket......DUMB-###! (thought to self) :cry:

Grumpy

I keep telling myself I'm going to grind those edges. I guess I don't have enough scars yet, lol.

My first set of stitches happened when I was about two years old...and there have been many sets since.

Scratches barely register on my accident radar any more. I look down, see blood, notice that it isn't running TOO badly, look for the source, wipe it off, and go on about my business.

That's the life of this accident-prone klutz.

Hope you put your evil cage in time out.

I haven't ever had stitches. The only time I would have had to have stitches, I used honey and it healed QUIKER (and less expensive) than stitches would've healed it. I cut my finger with a wet food can on the joint of my finger very badly. Man, that thing was DEEEEEEP. Thank goodness for butterfly bandages and honey!

Every scar I have is from wire. Literally, EVERYone. Except for that wet food can scar. I gouge myself with wire all the time... my worst was with a cattle panel. I was sitting down on the ground, came back up and it just ripped my shoulder. It was pretty bad.

I've had sutures twice...once in my mouth (oral surgery when I was a teen) and once in a locale nobody will ever see...that was AWFUL though, eighteen surface stitches, I forget how many internal ones, had to have a rubber "drain" in the wound...and STILL took a secondary infection, for which I was on antibiotics for a month and a LOT of painkillers.

Most of my other scars are from animals. Massive gash on my left leg from a dog attack, SHOULD have had stitches but didn't...my arms are lines all over with small, faint scars from bites and scratches from dogs and cats, and I have a scar on my lower lip from being bashed in the face by a husky. Ahh the glamorous life of a dog groomer. ;) My newest scar is from my little otter doe, Pokerface...she gashed me back when I tattooed her and the scab just flaked off yesterday, revealing a new little pink scar. :roll: It'll fade to white eventually and blend with all the rest. :lol:

Also got some really funky perfectly-round white scars on my chest and belly...they're raised and very visible even though it happened when I was 2!!! I tried to climb out of a crib, and there were exposed nails on the inside...I got hung up on the nails and got several bad punctures. I don't remember it at all, of course, but my dad does...he told me it was like a nightmare, screaming baby all covered in blood.

The only other scar I've got is one on my right palm...when I was pretty darn young I was playing up at the Heather property, in the "care" of a babysitter...I fell, put my two front teeth THROUGH my upper lip and broke one of my teeth. Bleeding all over. Babysitter panicked and wouldn't touch me. In my child-brain I knew blood meant bandaids and bandaids mean it's getting better, so I went to get some bandaids. My dad kept a box in the kitchen, in a cupboard...so I tried to climb onto the counter to get to the cupboard. I couldn't see over it (I'm short, okay?) and put my hand down right into a pool of broken glass...babysitter had broken a jar and hadn't cleaned it up. :roll: My parents got home to find me bleeding all over, crying, and sitting in a corner while the babysitter failed to explain anything. I never saw her again. :lol:

Still got the scar on my palm...lip healed fine but my front tooth is still busted. From the front just looks like a bad chip but the back half of the tooth is gone, too. :lol:

Come to think of it I'm kinda all beat up, LOL!!!

Hey Hoodat!!! How're you healing up? My dad had an idea (yeah I told him, LOL), maybe put some electrical tape over the sharp parts? :)

I use electrical tape for the handles of my carriers for padding, the rabbits can't chew on it though... do you think that would cause problems?

Like ya'll, I tend to be lackadaisical about cuts and such....if it doesn't need stitches, no sweat.

BUT -- even a paper cut can serve as an entry point for steph! I knew a gentleman in a church back in VA who got a steph infection from a paper cut that literally almost killed him! Even the doctors said "only God can save him, we can't". Really, we should take cuts a bit more seriously than we do -- put some antibiotic ointment (or natural alternative if you prefer) on cuts.

Glad you are okay, Hoodat! Be careful!

(BTW, he walked out of the hospital!)

I actually have no cage scars. Not sure how, but I don't. It's not like they haven't bitten me!

The ONLY scar I have from a bunny, I obtained when I was about 5. My friend next door had a bunny, and it got loose. We chased it all over the back yard, trying to catch it. I caught it. Momentarily. As in... I let it go as soon as an 8-inch gash opened up on my left wrist. :roll:

As for an odd scar, I have a small scar on my left thumb. I got that stripping sugar cane with a paring knife when I was about 12. Yeah... cutting toward myself... not smart. My mom was going to night school, and I was taking care of dinner. She didn't see the injury until the next evening, and freaked when she saw it was down to the bones in the joint. :p

I didn't realize we were sharing war stories...

- met the metal automatic door of a supermarket when I was 2- hello, stitches in my forehead;
- was excited to go get Halloween candy one year, and was running to get my shoes from under mom's sewing machine- hello, stitches to my forehead as I slammed into the corner of the table;
- was climbing trees with my brother- fell and hit the edge of a metal lawn chair arm; split the entire back of my head open, and had no idea. Kept playing until my mom called me in, and as I passed her at the door, she started screaming because of all the blood;
- was in school, helping the teacher take down some art above the blackboard- hello, stitches down my entire thigh when I slipped and hit the edge of the chalk tray. Again, didn't know I was really hurt until the teacher started screaming;
- was playing baseball at a neighborhood party- hello, stitches when I got wonked in the head by a line drive that I didn't catch.

Those are just some off the top of my head (see what I did there?). These days, I have a first class first aid kit, and try to take things more slowly. Our local hospital just closed, which means I am about an hour away from the closest one. I have to be more careful.

My name is Marinea, and I am a world class klutz.

When I was four I cut myself with a butterknife... blood everywhere. Haha.

Then one time I got three HUGE splinters in the palm of my hand, but didn't tell my Mom until a week after. OH boy, that thing was so infected!

I get gouged pretty easily with this thin skin but I also have a healthy immune system so I never get infected and heal easily.
I'm convinced being around animals has a lot to do with a healthy immune system.

Marinea":y98l42qa said:
I have a first class first aid kit, and try to take things more slowly. Our local hospital just closed, which means I am about an hour away from the closest one. I have to be more careful.

My name is Marinea, and I am a world class klutz.
You do have sutures and needles in there, I hope? :lol:

hoodat":y98l42qa said:
I get gouged pretty easily with this thin skin but I also have a healthy immune system so I never get infected and heal easily.
I'm convinced being around animals has a lot to do with a healthy immune system.
I wholeheartedly agree!

I hope you're healing up well!!! :)

Back