a "why didn't I think of that?" philosophy for life

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my 12 year old son stopped me tonight when I started to ask him if he had homework. The boy has had a HORRID school year where all his challenges have been front & center and none of his gifts have shown. He said, "no mom, I've got this. I have a new technique."

:| ok. Intrigued, I say, " good! What is this new technique?"

Pulling out his books from his bag he says, " oh, it' s 'don't be a dumb*** and do your work.'"

:shock: really?? Thought it would be a bit more...touchy-feely. Motivational poster, "climb-that-mountain, follow your dream"-esque. Also a little annoyed because I find it hard to believe his father and/or I had failed to share this bit of enlightenment with him earlier, albeit not quite so bluntly and without the cursing. I looked at him :eek: thought, :-? Then said "actually, that works--for a lot of things in life" :up: "--and don't curse!" :evil: Then left him to try out his "technique".

Maybe he can package it as a new motivational philosophy: tt-shirts, posters, (very) short motivational speeches...

:) I had a couple of school years like that. But how excellent for him to have this epiphany... without the language, obviously, but hey -- if he keeps it up, he's got a life-changing, nothing-but-good technique there! One that anyone (me included :eek: ) would do well to follow!

Aw-w-w-w-w .......come on ......."Dumba##" ain't that bad.... :lol: :lol:

That mindset tells me, the young man has a good handle on life in general
and homework in particular. He's got a good head on his shoulders and he's
using that "space" between his ears for something other than a hat-rack.

Cut him a little "slack" on his self-analogy. He's beginning to understand,
"Cause.....and.....effect." That shows maturity. I bet he starts doing better
in everything he attempts.

Besides ......he's a "guy".......and guys cuss, every so often..
12 years old......or 50 years old.....He's still a "guy".
. ;) ;)

Many years from now, you'll look back and remember the day your son
began "growing-up". You should be very proud of him, as I'm sure you are.

Grumpy.

.... :shock: that's it? That's all I have to do? ...and it took a 12 y/o to teach me that. lol Seriously though, I wish my kids would come to that conclusion soon.

He's already way ahead of many who haven't yet figured out that a key to adult success is simply showing up on time and doing your work responsibly.

What a good kid! :)

Thanks Dayna, MissM &DogCatMom. He's a great kid. He is unique, and doesn't fit any of the "boxes" kids get jammed into. That's why he was feeling so bad and why I've had so many fights with the school this year to support him where he needs it but challenge him as well so he doesn't think he's incapable. That's also why it tickled me--the teachers and I nipping at each others heels, running in circles, me fighting to keep him from slipping through the cracks and feeling like there was no progress-- and he pulls himself out of his funk by basically saying "git 'er done" and leaving behind all the nonsense. I don't know if anything externally is going to magically change--but internally it did, and that'll get you farther than anything else. He's seeing himself as being in charge of his future again.

grumpy":k1gvzbfx said:
Aw-w-w-w-w .......come on ......."Dumba##" ain't that bad.... :lol: :lol: .
I know-could be a LOT worse, but I'd always set it as a rule and needed to follow through now so he doesn't get too big for his britches as a teenager. It also keeps the illusion of sweet, innocent mom going. :roll: Besides, it's in the Mom Rule Book, somewhere around number 10 or 11, I believe. : We've just got to say things like wash your hands, eat your vegetables, don't even think of bringing that hussy Lurlene into this household, etc. All that aside, Grumpy, as always your words are solid advice. I hear you and respect what you're saying.

mystang89":k1gvzbfx said:
.... :shock: that's it? That's all I have to do? ...and it took a 12 y/o to teach me that. lol.
. I know, right? It is profound in its simplicity. I mean, it fits EVERYTHING! That stack of breakfast dishes? "Don't be a dumb**& do your work". Someone at the job asks if they have to finish something? Don't be a dumb**& do your work.". Doe doesn't want to breed? Fits again--first for her, then you if she continues to be a problem. Young man nailed it.

Latest posts

Back