A week in the fridge?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
So last week I processed some rabbits.

Time has gotten from me.

I had 4 left in the fridge this morning (processed late last Thursday).

3 had no odor at all (like didn't even smell like anything) and 1 had a slight odor. I tossed the slight odor one. It didn't smell BAD just had a smell and tossed the other three in the deep freeze. Should those three be okay?

Normally I put them in the freezer after 3-4 days.... I did toss them into ice water as soon as they were processed before bagging and putting in the fridge.

Chicken can last 6 days according to meat processing rules in the fridge so I would figure rabbit would be similar based on size of animal.

I just checked my fridge and its 38° if that makes a difference. I just hate to toss out usable meat.

My memory just is really cramping my style here! lol

It's fine. I've kept fresh meat in the fridge for up to a month before without any issues. The idea that you have to use meat fast comes from the stuff you get at the grocery store that has already been refrigerated for who knows how long before it gets to you. Even the meat that comes straight from the butcher shop has usually been aged before being sliced off a carcass and offered for sale.

Usually it's the blood that will start to have a bit of odor not the meat itself. You just need to drain or rinse off the blood.

alforddm":3805208n said:
It's fine. I've kept fresh meat in the fridge for up to a month before without any issues. The idea that you have to use meat fast comes from the stuff you get at the grocery store that has already been refrigerated for who knows how long before it gets to you. Even the meat that comes straight from the butcher shop has usually been aged before being sliced off a carcass and offered for sale.

Usually it's the blood that will start to have a bit of odor not the meat itself. You just need to drain or rinse off the blood.
That's the line of thinking I have had b/c time has gotten away from me as well with both rabbits and squirrels. I have a very sensitive nose, so if the meat doesn't smell, I deem it fine to eat :cool: . If there is a hint of odor, I rinse then smell again.

Just last week I deboned and froze some deer meat that had been refrigerated for three weeks. It was an older buck so I purposely left it longer than I usually would so that it would be well aged. Makes a HUGE difference in the meat.

alforddm":1c8pdy5z said:

Same thing with eggs. You can keep them in the fridge for over a month before they start going bad. People think of grocery store eggs and start tossing them after a week... oh god, please don't...

Latest posts

Back