A tort was unexpected

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
So I'm not big on genetics and have mostly learned what to expect in any given litter based on observations over the past 20 some years of breeding rabbits.

So when I bred Gem to Bradley I expected broken black... with the distant possibility of solid black.

Gem is a pointed white dwarf. Her mom looks identical, just darker. Dad is white. Mom's siblings were all pointed except for one sable I think? was tan instead of white. BUT NOT tort... kinda an inbetweenish colour...

dsc-0085.jpg
Bradley is a broken black polish out of a breeder who breeds black/broken black.

DSC_0067.JPG

Their litter.
2023-03-10-GB.JPG

I'm just very curious about why the tort? Is it because Gem is pointed? So the shading gene played a role?
I suspect the one broken is also a tort.

Gem seems to have some other genetics involved, the light shading on the ears is fascinating.
1678548855895.png
Anyway, the shading gene on the Californian/Himalayan/pointed white color pattern has nothing to do with tort. This is due to how the 'C' color gene works. Full color, like torts or chestnut agouti, is the dominant choice on the 'C' gene. All rabbit colors are due to the pigment melanin. There are two different pigment factories in rabbits, that color hair/skin/eyes. One does the dark colors like black, blue, chocolate, lilac. The other makes the yellowish fawn/cream/red/orange colors.

Dominant 'C' full color has both pigments working. Not all color patterns need both pigments, for instance, black only needs the dark pigment, but both colors are capable of working. The next option down on the gene is called chinchilla--here the dark color works great, but the yellow shades don't--everything that would have been yellowish turns out pearly white.

Sable is the next option down, not only does the yellow not work, the dark colors are not quite full color--jet black becomes dark sepia brown. Your pointed white is the next option down, no yellows, and no color on the body, just on the points. The last option is the albino red-eyed-white.

So, the fact that your pointed white has points is due to the c(h) Californian gene. Bradley is a broken black, which is a recessive non-agouti self color. Now we move to the 'E' gene, that decides how the dark color extends down the hairshaft. Black and pointed white are both normal extension. Recessive to that is the harlequin gene, that spreads the agouti bands of color on the hairshaft to different patches of skin instead. And most recessive is the fawn non-extension gene, that puts the yellowish fawn shades down the body hair instead.

On an agouti rabbit (the ones with white eye rings, white inside the ears, and white bellies), the whole rabbit looks some shade of orange. If the bunny doesn't have the agouti gene, but is a self color like black, the body color is still fawn, but the points retain their normal dark color. That we call tortoiseshell--recessive non-agouti, dominant full-color, recessive non-extension aa C- ee.

This tells you the parents each have a recessive non-extension (fawn) gene to pass along, and each has the recessive non-agouti self gene. The buck is already a self color, so he is already aa and can't pass along anything else. Pointed whites need to also be self colors for showing, although they can be agouti based.

So, yes, you can definitely have a tort out of this mating, even without knowing there was a pointed tan-colored rabbit in mom's litter. The pointed tan could have simply been a poorly colored tort, or a diluted lilac or blue tort, which has much paler color. The sable gene is also a possibility, which is on the 'C' color gene, not the 'E' extension gene.

So I'm not big on genetics and have mostly learned what to expect in any given litter based on observations over the past 20 some years of breeding rabbits.

So when I bred Gem to Bradley I expected broken black... with the distant possibility of solid black.

Gem is a pointed white dwarf. Her mom looks identical, just darker. Dad is white. Mom's siblings were all pointed except for one sable I think? was tan instead of white. BUT NOT tort... kinda an inbetweenish colour...

View attachment 34818
Bradley is a broken black polish out of a breeder who breeds black/broken black.

View attachment 34820

Their litter.
View attachment 34821

I'm just very curious about why the tort? Is it because Gem is pointed? So the shading gene played a role?
I suspect the one broken is also a tort.
Agree with @judymac, all it would take is for both of the parents to carry a recessive non-extension gene <e> and you could get torts.

Incidentally, Gem looks like an otter (aka tan) himi (aka pointed white) - you can have otter markings on a himi pattern, with the otter pattern coming from <at> on the A-series gene and the himi pattern <ch> coming from the C-series. (You can also have an agouti himi, but Gem looks like a black so she'd be <ata> instead of <Aa>. Note the agouti/otter markings on her ears, the edges of her nostrils and inner feet. I'm betting she has a white underside to her tail, too.
Inked32356-1d31d82d13864d66b12a8640f14d38e5.jpg
The shading on her ears (other than the distinct white lacing) is an undesireable but not uncommon feature of himi rabbits, especially when it's warm during the development of the fur.

Keep your eyes open for otter markings on one or more of the kits.

I have an otter himi in my barn right now, out of a self black doe and a blue otter buck. Here are the key markings which you can see reflected in your doe as well: the light ear lacing (pic 1), otter markings on the hind feet (pic 2A), also the white underside of her tail (B). (For some reason in the first photo the white on her nostrils doesn't show up, but it's there.)
InkedOtter Cal ear markings.jpgInkedOtter Cal hind feet markings.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back