A surprising day for the does!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I have gotten the hang of "lifting: for the does instead of waiting for them to do it themselves!

They were surprised! :twisted:

Got 6 does done today and only one lifted herself. And she was surprised too by her back end lifting despite her front end saying no no no not today dear! :lol: She is a junior doe who has never lifted but today was her day.

So who knew? A warm sunny day worked better than all the rainy cloudy ones I have been trying.

What % of one time mounted, manually lifted, breedings catch?

Huh... maybe I need to try that with the Beverens.

Did you table breed them or put them in the buck's cage?

MamaSheepdog":2u3as1nf said:

I put them in the bucks cage on the off chance they will cooperate. Then, if they don't, I aim their heads slightly to the right with their bums mostly pointed away and a bit to the left so I can hold their head/neck down with my right hand and slip my left under their bellies, slide it all the way back so my two fingers have her "bits" between them and lift. If I try I can just manage to push the tail itself out of the way too if she drops it in the way.

The ick factor of his "thang" poking my fingers as he tries to get a good angle took a bit to over come, I must admit. :oops: But with the hope of some good litters from does that are MONTHS overdue to breed, or have failed to lift despite many tries, helped me master it. :twisted:

Well, that doesn't sound too difficult. :? But...

GBov":2ngte4v0 said:
The ick factor of his "thang" poking my fingers as he tries to get a good angle took a bit to over come, I must admit. :oops:

...EWW! I hadn't even considered that happening.

GBov":2ngte4v0 said:
But with the hope of some good litters from does that are MONTHS overdue to breed, or have failed to lift despite many tries, helped me master it. :twisted:

Yes... I think I, too, shall overcome! :p

I hope you get some nice litters! :good-luck:

GBov":4xkcsb7r said:
MamaSheepdog":4xkcsb7r said:

I put them in the bucks cage on the off chance they will cooperate. Then, if they don't, I aim their heads slightly to the right with their bums mostly pointed away and a bit to the left so I can hold their head/neck down with my right hand and slip my left under their bellies, slide it all the way back so my two fingers have her "bits" between them and lift. If I try I can just manage to push the tail itself out of the way too if she drops it in the way.

The ick factor of his "thang" poking my fingers as he tries to get a good angle took a bit to over come, I must admit. :oops: But with the hope of some good litters from does that are MONTHS overdue to breed, or have failed to lift despite many tries, helped me master it. :twisted:

You gave me a good laugh at the "ick factor". I hope you end up with lots of babies.

"...EWW! I hadn't even considered that happening."

Me either till it happened!!! :shock:

Anyone have experience with the doe lifting, but the buck being smaller and not able to hang on?
I'm wondering if he's unable to finish because her lift throws him off?
They've attempted to breed many times over the last 2 months and no sign of a litter yet... :slap:

To keep on my breeding schedule, this is a standard practice for me.
Your percentages will be slightly lower, but better than 0% if you don't try.
To gain an even better conception rate, repeat the process 6 hours later.
Some bucks will readily accept your help.....others will be hesitant.
(You need to be handy at palpating on day 12. You'll gain much needed
time if you're proficient)

I try to breed 6-8 does on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Which means they'll usually kindle on Saturdays and Sundays.
Four weeks and three days later.

If a doe 'misses' her first time and won't elevate the
second go-round, she's put on the list for the snake guy.
Her third miss and she's taken out of her breeding cage
and placed in a replacement cage awaiting shipment to
the snake breeder. Usually once she's kindled, she's easier
and more receptive to elevate on her own accord.

I've got a real dandy of a doe that WON'T breed no matter what.
Upon closer examination, her reproductive organ appears to be about
one/third the size of a normal doe. I'm gonna attempt to breed her
one more time. If not successful, she's gone. I've got replacement does
ready and waiting for a larger pen.

The ick factor of his "thang" poking my fingers as he tries to get a good angle took a bit to over come, I must admit. :oops: But with the hope of some good litters from does that are MONTHS overdue to breed, or have failed to lift despite many tries, helped me master it. UNQUOTE

Put a pair of disposable vinyl gloves on.
Will help keep your hands warm in the winter, and dry :)

I'm going to give this a try on a couple does. I'm getting a bit stricter (more like grumpy) with my does and am in the process of "have babies or go to freezer camp".

Gbov quote: The ick factor of his "thang" poking my fingers

I had to chuckle...my warped sense of humor prevailed.

"Just think of "it" as a lively, night-crawler...only warmer."

grumpy.

My mom thinks I'm a monster, but I'm sick of my meat doe only taking every third or fourth try, even with my 'help'. I have a replacement in the wings, but the old gal's been given one last chance. If she missed again this time I won't wait for the younger doe to come of age.

Grumpy! Tsk tsk!
:rotfl:

Well, I tried it with one of my Beveren does earlier, and managed to get her in the proper position, but the dang buck still couldn't manage to hit the spot. Maybe I was lifting her too high, like a really eager doe. :hmm:

I'm going to try again in a bit.

grumpy":1v5iw09r said:

grumpy.

A warm night-crawler!!! :shock: OMG thought I was going to die laughing :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Ick" factor and all, this is QUITE reminiscent of a discussion I accidentally overheard between two (women) members of the dog club who breed their dogs. The topic...ah...at hand was "collecting" the boys. :wink:

I really wish they'd kept their voices down, but we were outdoors and they seemed to think they were 20 feet apart from one another, rather than less than 2 feet. I was maybe 6 to 8 feet away, and the one who started the discussion had her back to me (chairs in a row). :shock:

GBov":s93pjjkc said:
grumpy":s93pjjkc said:

grumpy.

A warm night-crawler!!! :shock: OMG thought I was going to die laughing :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:p I just couldn't help myself. LOL. :p

I've done this procedure for so long, I don't even think about it.
I suppose for someone "new" at this endeavor, it would "feel" a
little 'different'.

The first thing that popped in my mind was an overactive night crawler.
"On the warm-side."
Glad you got a chuckle out of it. I'm about half-ornery at times.

grumpy.

grumpy":ygd61a2e said:
GBov":ygd61a2e said:
grumpy":ygd61a2e said:

grumpy.

:p I just couldn't help myself. LOL. :p grumpy.

We've refered to it as an earthworm as well... :snicker:

Hahahahahahahahahaha this just made my day yall.

Personally i have forced does but not quite so hands on.
I try to hold the doe at the front shoulders and her head down with my other hand. Of course the real aggressively-no does i usually have to do it several times before i can hold her still. Sometimes the manhandling seems to be what they wanted all along and their butt goes sky high when the buck starts his thing. Alot of times though i have to wrangle and situate, she'll move and wiggle and glue heer butt down still, ip situate her again and manually put her butt up with her back legs nicely posed to hold her butt up as such. If she still puts up anfight i hold her butt up untilthe buck tries again.
And during this i also am giving acv. Sometimes it tskes a few days trys but it works.

I tried today with the doe that I was posting about "how old is too old for breeding"...
Crossing my fingers and toes for a take. I wish I was better at palpating tummies at 12 days.
I don't really have any experience with it and what I have done, I've never been confident I was feeling babies.

Just wondering how long you guys wait between tries when your breeding a stubborn or new doe that won't lift. I have a new buck and 2 new does. The buck is eager and doing his part well, but the does wont lift and I don't want to frustrate the buck.

Back