a question from a 12 year old

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd never heard of peanuts and we have a smaller lionhead that was bred with a ND buck.
She's due tomorrow or Tuesday. I hope she doesn't have any. :-/

I've bred some small ND (my former show buck is about 1lb) and crossed them back to each other. I've seen 1 peanut. Personally I don't think the dwarf gene is as simple as people think it is. I don't think there is one gene set but an accumulative gene. Meaning there are several and the more you have the smaller the animal. This is supported by the broad range in sizes of rabbits with the dwarf genes and the unpredictable number of peanuts. It could be that only 1 of these several genes cause peanuts. Making some lines throw lots of peanuts and other lines throw no peanuts.

His lop is Brown and gray. I know nothing of lops. I am a Marten person. My son is extremely cute and autistic so his speech is impaired. He got this lop for free at show! I didn't want a lop but he was so happy.

__________ Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 pm __________

Could you post a picture or a link to a picture on the web that looks like your sons lop?

Brown and grey is not very helpful and could be several colours depending on your defintion of "brown" and "grey" :shrug:

I assume you will be supplying the Netherland Dwarf silver marten and know about peanuts. Perhaps choose one that is a false dwarf just in case the lop carries the dwarf gene.

I am sorry I am going to post pics

__________ Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:08 pm __________

<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:12 pm __________<br /><br />I know about peanuts but thankfully I have shifted his interests to the big ugly I have. He is way to sensitive to deal with peanuts.

Attachments

• 13885384112840.jpg
    13885384112840.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 403
Awww...how cute!

I would say that is a little chocolate, or possibly a chocolate tort, holland lop and I do think it is a dwarf as the ears are rather short the head very cobby.

The ears are well lopped and you might get kits that have partial or even fully lopped ears :D

When bred to a silver marten you should get some black otters and maybe self black. Of course other colours are possible depending on any hidden recessive genes the buck and the doe have.

So he just told me that the lady told him the lop is a blue tort. Lol he tells me now and he has memorized the whole pedigree. He is amazing with some things.

I was going to say, it looks a lot like my blue tort lionhead as far as coloring goes. :)
Then again, I didn't know what the name of her color was until I asked someone on here.

So he just told me that the lady told him the lop is a blue tort. Lol he tells me now and he has memorized the whole pedigree. He is amazing with some things.
:mrgreen: That is Awesome ! :D I'm on the autism spectrum as well and took to taxonomy and genetics like a duck to water :D

Breeding a blue tort to a silver marten will still create black otters and possibly self blacks.

Providing the colours of his and the ND does parents will help figure out if blues are a possibility.

Back