A little clueless - frozen water bottles?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
So, when people post that they give their rabbits frozen water bottles to combat the heat, does that mean like a frozen bottle in their cage they can lay up against? Am I understanding that right? We had some crazy heat last summer so I want to be prepared as the temps start creeping up...haha, who am I kidding. Our temps don't creep. It could be 60 one day and 102 then next.

I freeze 2 litter pop bottles and put it in the cage for the rabbit to lay against. It also creates a mini air conditioner if you have a fan blow across them.

LOL, I know what you mean...when I first saw "frozen water bottle" I thought about the bottle they drink from! The cheapest way is just to use the 2 liter soda bottles...2 per cage, and when one thaws, swap it out for a frozen one, putting the thawed one back in the freezer.

being mindful of the chewers though.. I've done this with buns and had water bottles with lovely holes in them....

Mickey328":28oppwhn said:
LOL, I know what you mean...when I first saw "frozen water bottle" I thought about the bottle they drink from! The cheapest way is just to use the 2 liter soda bottles...2 per cage, and when one thaws, swap it out for a frozen one, putting the thawed one back in the freezer.

I was wondering if that is what was meant, because I freeze my own water bottles in summer so I have cold water to drink as it melts, lol.

2 liter bottls...that makes sense. My kids will love that they get to drink soda so I can have the bottles. We don't drink much soda around here. I'll start saving some now!

Coffeenut, lots of people use these but I have chosen not to. There are a few reasons. 1) I firmly believe that as long as you have adequate ventilation, it isn't needed. We did not lose a single rabbit last year to the heat once we got our new barn setup and the fans installed. It is angled to catch the prevailing wind and in some shade throughout the day. 2) I came across this document: http://www.newzealandrabbitclub.net/ARCHIVES/heat.doc by a long time breeder that is part of the American Federation of New Zealand Rabbit Breeders. It talks about how the extreme swings in temps caused by using frozen bottles *can* be more detrimental than helpful. As with anything, your mileage may vary, so it's good to look at all the information and make your decision based on what works for you and your rabbits.

Thx, OAC. I just want to be ready. The last few years have steadily been getting hotter and hotter into temps never seen in this area before. It was nothing for us to have 108-110 degree days last year and when I was a kid and we had rabbits, the temp rarely got to 102, so the rules I grew up with have changed. My bunny "shed" is outside, has shade all day, and has access to electricity to run a a fan or 2 in the summer if needed, but I want to be prepared. I was wondering about the extreme temp change from the bottles, but I have heard a lot of people do the same thing for their chickens with the water bottles.

My rabbits just ate holes through the bottles or ignored them, so i figured they didn't need them...

you can make a DIY swamp cooler by creating a pinhole leak that drips onto cloth infront of a fan...
I just toss ice in with them

Latest posts

Back