A little advice please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craneman54

Reaction score
I will be harvesting 16 fryers this week leaving me with just my breed stock.

I am thinking of putting the breeding stock in a rabbit tractor in the yard where there is plenty of grass to feed on.

I have 2 bucks and 3 does. I know I can put the all does in one section separate from the bucks, but can I keep the bucks in one section together or will they fight?

I haven't built the tractor yet, so I can make it any way I need to if I have to keep the bucks separated.

I definitely would not run the bucks together, and the does may fight as well. Personally, I would make separate areas for each rabbit or breed another litter and use the tractor for growouts instead.

Good point, Dood.

You can accustom them to it either by bringing small amounts of greens to their cages or putting them in the tractor for just 10-15 minutes to start with. The key either way is to gradually increase the amount they consume over a span of about two weeks, at which point they should be able to handle as much as they want to eat.

I always like to make sure that they are not fed fresh greens on an empty stomach initially, so always give a feeding of hay first so they are not ravenous when presented with the greens.

I have been giving them greens from the yard since the grass started turning green in early spring. I do increase the amount so they should have no problems there. With only 5 to separate there should be no problem,other than taking part of my watering system on the hutches and putting it on the tractor

Not really looking to breed any more this year. I can't devote hardly any time to the rabbits at least for several months. Wife's dementia is getting worse and I can hardly leave her alone more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time right now. As it is I will have to find someone to watch her while I build the tractor or keep her close by or at least in sight while I build it.

I'm sorry about your wife, Craneman. :cry:

That must be a terrible thing to watch in someone you love, and cause a lot of conflicting emotions since no doubt you probably get very frustrated (and sometimes angry) with her because of it.

I have to ask... do you and your wife get yearly vaccines, and specifically the flu vaccine? Most vaccines for adults as well as some for children contain mercury (also known as Thimerosol) as a preservative.

I am sure you are familiar with the "Mad Hatter" from Alice in Wonderland? Well, that is a real "disease" caused by mercury poisoning, and the symptoms are shockingly similar to those of dementia and Alzheimers.

I would look into chelation therapy to remove heavy metals from her system. You will likely need to find an alternative (non Western) medical practitioner to do so.

It might not help, but I think is worth a try. :clover:

My wife does get yearly vaccines but it has only been in the last couple of years. She was diagnosed with dementia about 8 years ago so I doubt if that is the cause. Dementia runs in her family. Several of her aunts and uncles have had it as well as her paternal grandmother.

Yes I do get angry at the disease and after a while I also get frustrated with her,but that's when I walk away,cool down come back and apologize to her and do my best to calm her down. I know it is not her fault but it is sometimes hard to control ones emotions.

My mother died from that damn disease. I watched my father get angry and mistreat my helpless mother verbally until I told him if I ever heard him do that again I would knock his butt out, take Mom to court and get custody of her so I could see about getting her professional help. As far as I know he never cursed her are raised his voice to her again. I refuse to be like him' although I understand better the frustration but refuse to downgrade my wife for something she has no control over.( or for anything else for that matter)

I am by far no saint, but some things I cannot and will not put up with.
To top things off,we found out this weekend our daughter in pregnant and I know my wife will probably never get to know our second grandchild as a Grandmother should get to know her grandchild.

Thanks for the help and the condolences.

Prayers for your family Craneman. If you ever need to vent to someone who has been a caregiver, feel free to PM me any time. Please make sure you have some "you" time.

*hugs*

Oh, and congratulations on your pending grandchild (I hope that isn't out of line under the circumstances).

Thanks folks.

I didn't mean for this thread to be about mine and my wife's problems. I guess I just had to release some pressure and got carried away.

Thanks for the advice about the tractor and the kind words about my wife's condition .

Marinea-- Thanks for the offer. If I find myself needing to talk to someone I will contact you.

Latest posts

Back