A Chestnut from 2 solid parents?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOGZZ

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just acquired a nice Chestnut doe (Netherland Dwarf) and I saw something on her pedigree that gave me pause. Her parents are listed as a solid blue and a solid black, with one of her grandparent being a chestnut.

I always thought the Agouti gene was dominant over the tan and solid gene, meaning there is no recessive carrying of the color, meaning any rabbit carrying an agouti gene will express the gene. It makes it impossible for 2 solid parents to have an agouti baby, but possible for an agouti parent to have a solid baby. This would mean that either the Chestnut isn't completely dominant like I thought or that there is an error on her pedigree. I'm leaning toward an error on the pedigree, but off course I can't be sure!

Anyone has any opinion on the matter?

I believe you are correct..... Agouti dominates Tan Pattern and Self (A), Tan Pattern dominates Self (at), and self is fully recessive (aa)

It's not possible unless there is the steel gene involved. A steel rabbit that carries non-extension/orange can sometimes appear solid black, despite being agouti, which can lead to confusion. Steel is not particularly common netherland dwarfs, though - unless this rabbit had steel in its pedigree or came from a line that had a lot of steel in it, I would guess it more likely to be an error in the pedigree.

Latest posts

Back