7 week olds mounting each other

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLittleBunny10

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but..
20140504_093854.1.jpg

Marshmellow's babies are 7 weeks old now, one of them I think is a girl, the other, a boy.
The one who I think is a girl keeps on mounting the boy, he just gets annoyed by it.
Is it a dominance thing?
Could she be a he?
Should I separate them?

I'm sorry. That's an adorable picture!

You might want to separate them to keep your buck from becoming afraid of does and to prevent her from pulling hair from his back or neck.

You can double check her gender as much as you want, but mounting behavior is no useful indicator. ;) It's totally normal for a doeling to mount a buckling, or an adult doe to try and mount a buck.
I have observed even nestbox kits with their eyes closed practicing mounting. :?

That always makes me laugh. I think it's a dominance issue. Sometimes when we are talking pictures of litters for sale they start mounting each other. When my French angora trio were 7 weeks old they all mounted each other. In a train fashion. Since two were does sex didn't stop them.

My recent litter of holland lops, there was 4 males and 1 female.
I am keeping the girl as a future breeder.
At a very young age, one of the males figured out he was a BOY.
Sigh.
I finally got him sold today. Thank goodness.
I had to keep him in a cage by himself.

I've had runty six week olds terrorize their litter mates and need to be separated.... and had five month old have NO clue about that aspect of life... FROM THE SAME LINES. So bunnies and their maturity rates are always a surprise.

Probably a dominance thing. I separate them regardless of age if they are that persistent... as eventually it will cause a fight and who needs rabbits injured for preventable reasons?

Okay,
The boy will be sold next wensday.
Do you think it would be fine if I kept them together until then?

So... totally off topic...
Charlie's hutch has ants all over the roof and inside some of the boards.
I took him out, and sprayed it with bug spay a few hours ago so right now he has a temporary plywood roof.
Do you think it would be okay to put the original roof back on now?

Latest posts

Back