7 days away from nestbox day, and already building a nest?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLittleBunny10

Reaction score
Marshmellow is shredding cardboard (she usually eats it) and is 7 days away from nestbox day, is this early? and should I give her a nestbox? she defiantly has babies and is lunging and biting me, is that normal?

Some does start nest building early- I have one doe that pulled fur three days ago and still hasn't poppled.

I would give her a nest, but watch it carefully- some does will use it as a litter box if they get it too early. If she is putting the cardboard in a certain corner of her cage, that is where you want to put her nestbox.

Some does do get aggressive when they are near kindling. Others get nasty when they want to be bred... others are nasty right after being bred or giving birth... some are always sweet... it just depends on the doe.

I would give her a nest, but watch it carefully- some does will use it as a litter box if they get it too early.
she is litterbox trained, where do I put the hay?

If she is putting the cardboard in a certain corner of her cage, that is where you want to put her nestbox.
ok, should I put it opposite of her litterbox?

Some does do get aggressive when they are near kindling.
she is VERY mean right now, she lets me pet her, but now she is biting anything that gets near her :(

Thanks MSD!

You're welcome, Little Bunny!

Putting the nest opposite her litterbox sounds like a good plan. :)

You can just stuff the box with hay and she will rearrange it, but I think it is fun to watch them gather it and take it to the nest. I put some in a hayrack and also on the floor near the nest.

what does your nestbox look like?

are the wood or metal nestboxes better?

what hay type is best? my mom got alfalfa,

I usually use the Sani-Nest from BASS. It is all wire, and I line it with plastic panels. I like these best because I can line them with more or less plastic depending on the weather- in the hot months I only put a panel on the bottom, sometimes with short sides.

Sani-Nest:

IMG_7013.JPG

I also have some all metal nests. I have heard that they can get too warm in the summer months.

Metal nest:

IMG_3352.JPG

Many people use wood, but the downside is that they are hard to disinfect thoroughly.

Some people use plastic storage bins or dishpans. If the container is light weight you should attach it to the sides of the cage to keep her from tipping it over.

I have a roof from a carrying cage that looks a LOT like your wire nestbox, I will try to get a picture
you think that would work? it looks about the same size too,<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:46 pm __________<br /><br />she is shredding more,
and eating all the hay, should I not put it in yet?
and she is due on the 30

just keeping giving her more hay/straw. Keeps her busy and contented which is what very hormonally pregnant does need. :) It will help her settle knowing she has "her house in order".

me too,
I gave her some hay in a paper grocery bag and put some in the nestbox, she hasn't eaten the hay in the nestbox, but has eaten the has in the bag. she bit my little brother, but no blood

LittleBunny, if she is on an alfalfa based pellet, feeding alfalfa hay might not be the best thing as it will cause her to eat more hay, less pellets, and miss out on the additional nutrition in the pellets. This is why folks recommend a timothy or grass hay.

And, as Ladysown says, keeping her happy and busy is a good thing :p

As for her nipping your brother, she wasn't biting so much as she was saying "don't do that" or trying to let him know she needed a potty break. It is still good to practice to say "No" when they do nip, but understand what they are trying to tell you :D

ok, we have half a bale of alfalfa, what should we do with it?
my mom was thinking of spreading it on the outskirts of our yard (1/2 acre), is that a good idea?

I will :)

oh, I think she felt threatened, he was trying to pet her :)

thanks AnnClaire!

You can save the half a bale of alfalfa for the summer when you are pulling weeds and other fresh fodder ... give her the alfalfa then, and just be sure she has a mineral block ... it will cut back on your feed bill, give you a chance to feed fresh for a bit, just make sure you offer a wide variety of greens, and the fruits you are feeding will be more of a part of the diet rather than just a treat :p Of course, if your mom really wants it .... :laugh2:

yay! she put the cardboard in her nestbox, and is trying to dig a tunnel in her litterbox, I think she can't decide where to put her nest.

4 days till she is due, her belly is huge (and seems hard o_O)

caught Marshmellow bringing the hay in her litterbox to her nest (which is like a little hay tunnel)

AnnClaire":2knoit31 said:
Give that girl more hay :p

I've been giving her hay all day! that nestbox is sooo stuffed I don't think anymore will fit!
(oh and I am going to get her some shavings for her litterbox)

Latest posts

Back