4 week old Holland kit, swollen vent

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
We have two holland doe kits out of our holland doe Daisy. Daisy had a prolapsed rectum as a kit and we went back and forth on the cull or wait and see course of action. The breeder was unfamiliar with this sort of thing and we were too new to know better than to buy her so lesson learned. Anyhow, fast forward six months and Daisy is fine. It seems she grew out of it and successfully kindled a litter of four with no prolapse issues.

Tonight I check her two 4 week old kits, and one has a seriously swollen vent/rectum. It is bulging and looks very sore :cry: She had lots of dry poops clinging to her bottom and smells a little stinky like kits that get the runs when transitioning to solids.

So I'm feeling that this will be the first and last litter for Daisy, but in the meantime, what (other than heredity) would cause such an owie bottom for this poor baby?

**picture is oriented with vent on the top

Attachments

• gigig.jpg
    gigig.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 563
Has this seemed to occur as she has stared eating solids? See what others say but I would at least make sure she's getting plenty of hay and oats, and be looking for some type of anti-anflammitory oil or topical treatment that could help, and just keeping her clean. I would clean her twice a day with a warm washcloth and look into a salt water rinse down there to help her. Poor thing!

They've been on solids for a good week but when I say solids I mean hay and just a teensy bit of pellets. It seems like what happened with her mom so I'm sad to say I think it's hereditary :(

Keeping her clean and trying a prep h/polysporin combo. Poor wee girl.

Oh boy. I have not experienced this particular issue but I keep having genetic health related problems popping up out of the woodwork so I'd not be surprised if it was. Poor baby!

I have found with my hollands that occasionally the little ones get matted bottoms while transitioning. The poop/urine irritates their little bottoms, which get swollen. All I do is clean them up, and keep them clean, and the swelling goes away. And, yes, it stinks.

The cause seems to be the little poops getting stuck to the fur, then moistened with urine. Sometimes I will do a preemptive "haircut" to prevent it. Lower protein feed (max 16%, I prefer 15%) also helps.

Latest posts

Back