30th day and no kits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On day 30 a doe is barely due. Day 31 is considered the average but many does go longer. Definitely leave the nest box in for another week at least. I don't know how many times someone has removed it at Day 35 or so, only to lose a beautiful litter because the doe was forced to kindle on the wire.

Ok, that makes me feel little better. Im second
Guessing myself if she is or isn't. But for sure will
Leave it in and hope to see.

Have you palpated her? At this stage, you should feel big oval blobs.
Leave the nest in as long as possible. If she starts using it as a toilet, try a different corner. If nothing helps and you're sure she's preggers, just add a thin layer of something so it's easier to clean. I toss hay into the nest and around it now, in case she finds the nest too small or too hot to comfortably birth in.

29-31 days is average. 35 is usually considered maximum and most do remove the box and start trying to breed again at that point but litters have happened later.

I had hay in there a d she just dug
The hay out and ate it. I have tried to
Palpate. Sometimes I can feel something
And sometimes I can't. So don't know for sure.
Best bet to just leave the best box in there for
Awhile and time will tell.

I thought for SURE my doe missed...I never did feel kits in there when I palpated...day 35 she hadn't made a nest, hadn't pulled fur, nothing...so I pulled her nest box.

I woke up the next day to find a whole litter of kits, in a pile in the corner of her cage; she pulled a metric ton of fur and covered them in it, she tried very hard to make a nest on the wire. But that night it had been well below freezing and all the kits were frozen solid. :(

So I personally will never again pull a nest box until day 36 at the SOONEST. Take heart, I've never had a doe kindle before day 32 or 33. ;)

If you read past posts you will find lots of litters that came on day 36, a few even later. Mine consistently go past day 31, usually 35 or 36. I wouldn't take a box out until day 40 personally, just to be sure.

Same here. I don't usually put nest in till day 30 anymore, unless I want the hay eaten up or pooped on.

You all have slow rabbits. I put the box in at day 28 and without fail get kits on day 29-30 for all breeds and lines.

akane":3e9j8z68 said:
You all have slow rabbits. I put the box in at day 28 and without fail get kits on day 29-30 for all breeds and lines.
Obviously all does are different. Hours might kindle
An be exact everytine but there ARE does that
Go longer and won't kindle till after day 30 or so.
That's just how it is. :)<br /><br />__________ Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:14 pm __________<br /><br />I did out hay back in there even though she
Dug it knout and ate it. It's getting cooler here
Down in the 40's at night so I wanted to make
Sure if she wasn't going to pull fur that there was
Somewhat of a warm base in there along with
Paper pellets and shredded paper. I did pull fur
For her as I didn't think she was going to ( as she didn't
Last litter she had that the previous owners bred her.)

akane":7q8ic6u5 said:

My rabbits are like the anti rabbits. They do everything the opposite of what convention animal husbandry says they should do. They rarely show color, and when they do, won't breed. I force breed them with no color change, and they conceive, with huge litters, bred only once. The kindle generally on day 33-36. They have not read the bunny manual, or they read it together, and as a barn conspired to do the exact opposite of what it says, just to be diffident.

I love bunnies.

My rabbits are like the anti rabbits. They do everything the opposite of what convention animal husbandry says they should do. They rarely show color, and when they do, won't breed. I force breed them with no color change, and they conceive, with huge litters, bred only once. The kindle generally on day 33-36. They have not read the bunny manual, or they read it together, and as a barn conspired to do the exact opposite of what it says, just to be diffident.

I love bunnies.[/quote]

lol

Back