2nd meal using rabbit...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
Kind of excited. Made a pot of rabbit chili today. Hope it turns out good. Last time I made tacos and they were excellent.

If it turns out well, be sure to post the recipe in the Recipe forum! :dinner:

I have 3 in the freezer I haven't cooked yet. They were a little older than the the usual 10 weeks or so, so I have been holding off. I want my family to REALLY like rabbit, so I am waiting until I can cook them some fryers. I plan to try some chili with these bigger ones, though. Let us know how it went.

Rabbit chili, that sounds real good.along with a big hunk of corn bread.
My wife makes a good white chili with chicken. next time she will have to use rabbit.
can't wait.

MamaSheepdog":32ph8sml said:
CWD":32ph8sml said:
My wife makes a good white chili with chicken. next time she will have to use rabbit.
can't wait.

Recipe please! :dinner:

I hate to say it, but McCormick's makes a white chili seasoning to be used with chicken and white beans (like great northern or navy) and then I add some green chilis or green enchilada sauce. It's a package season, but it is really good.

My wife uses the baby white beans same as navy beans. she cooks them all day in the crock pot,
she put in onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, bay leaf. chicken broth or bulion cubes.
she uses canned ortaga chilis. and the chicken meat.

she said all of the spices are to taste. she had a recipe, but threw it out by mistake a couple of years ago.
she could have fooled me. I have not noticed any differance in the chili. Then again I am happy she makes it, and I would not complaine if I did notice any differance. LOL

It was really good. I did it the easy way. The rabbit was already cooked. Hubby is paranoid, so after butchering he boils rabbits for a couple hours and we pick the meat off the bones and freeze them in 2 lb bags. It was a lot of meat! I think I could have used more beans.

But it was basically pinto and kidney beans, green chiles, bell peppers and onions. I blend together some of the beans with some diced tomatoes. Chili powder. Yum!<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:09 pm __________<br /><br />Couple of nights ago I made rabbit noodle soup. I make mine with a turkey or chicken carcass normally. Since I didn't have bones to boil I used veggie broth. I put about 1/3 cup of finely diced ginger in my soup and tumeric. Makes it very yummy! Having it again for dinner tonight. So far I love the rabbit!

That's a great idea! I have a meat grinder, but never thought of using rabbit in chili. I think I'll add it to some ground beef.

I might have to cull an aggressive non-breeding doe and was wondering what to do with her. Chili sounds like just the ticket! :)

If you guys are grinding up the meat, don't forget to save the carcasses for home made broth! There is nothing better than homemade broth. I usually save all my raw bones (or slightly cooked in the case of steaks) and throw them all together in a big pot with the usual spices and mirepoix and then simmer all day. Then freeze it old yogurt containers.

I have heard or people making their herb, veggie or meat broth and freezing it in ice cube trays-then you pull them out as soon as they are fully frozen and put them in a bag so you just pull broth cubes out as needed when cooking. I end up using a TON of broth when cooking so I don't do this but for anyone that uses smaller amounts it would be great. My husband has a long list of health problems and it is hard to get him and my 2 year old to eat so I have completely switched to using broths instead of water when recipes call for water so I can get the most nutrients in them possible at any given meal.

Has anyone ever tried steaming rabbit? I've done it with chicken and porkchops. The water left over in the bottom makes a fabulous stock and the meat essentially cannot be burnt. I just wait for the stock to cool and freeze it in ziplock bags. Do you think steaming would help prevent dryness in the meat? I have yet to try this method with rabbit.

loopylander":ilnww025 said:
Has anyone ever tried steaming rabbit? I've done it with chicken and porkchops. The water left over in the bottom makes a fabulous stock and the meat essentially cannot be burnt. I just wait for the stock to cool and freeze it in ziplock bags. Do you think steaming would help prevent dryness in the meat? I have yet to try this method with rabbit.

How do you steam them?

Sorry for the late response, my only computer access is at work and I had a long weekend. To steam any meat I just use a basket steamer like you would for vegetables. My cooking set has a steamer insert that stacks on a sauce pot, but I have used a bamboo steamer set too. Just stack your layers of meat (bottom insert), potatoes (next insert up), and veggies on top. As long as there is water underneath them (I used a 12 inch frying pan for the bamboo set) then they cannot burn and the water gets all the good flavour dripping down from your food. The best part is cooking all three items with just one pot. The second best part is no grease from frying!

Maxine":2a7b2m20 said:
It was really good. I did it the easy way. The rabbit was already cooked. Hubby is paranoid, so after butchering he boils rabbits for a couple hours and we pick the meat off the bones and freeze them in 2 lb bags.

What, exactly, is he worried about? :shock: Rabbit is about the safest meat I can think of.

We just butchered our first rabbit, and he was long overdue at 20+ weeks. I know nothing about butchering. After 24 hours of rest, the cooking became an unscientific comparison of methods.

The back legs got BBQ'd on the grill low and slow, nothing to write home about, but I expected that due to his age and sex and minimal preparation.

The tougher to get the meat off parts got put in the Fagor pressure cooker to steam under pressure for about 10 minutes (overkill for such small pieces). 10 minutes was overkill, but the steamed parts came out more tender, less dried out, and easier to get off the bone than the BBQ bits. and there was a light broth that the dog will have for several meals. To do this again, I'd brown them to get flavor and color, add spices, then steam.

After dinner I took all the carcass parts leftover, after we tried to get the meat off, and returned it to the pressure cooker, covered with water, cooked under pressure for 45 more minutes (the equivalent of 4-5 hours of boiling. The meat was super easy to pull of the bones, too soft in some places (most of it's nutrition has leached into the broth), the broth is very dark and will be used to make rabbit-noodle-soup.

If I was to do it again, I'd cook multiple rabbit carcasses, veggies, spices in a bigger pressure cooker for 1hr 15min. When I do chicken this way, the bones literally crumble in my fingers.

Back