24 day old kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

II Arrows

Reaction score
I made my best attempt to sex all 12 kits today. From my own best judgment I have 2 NZW bucks, 3 NZW does. 1 NZB buck and 2 NZB does with one black I'm not 100 percent sure of but I'm leaning more towards a buck. My other Rex mix kits again Im not 100 percent sure on any of them but it looks like all 3 are possibly bucks. On the bucks I was pretty certain of received a black dot on the inside of their left ear. I will be weighing them at 4 weeks and checking again for their gender. Is it possible to accurately determine sex at 3 weeks? And for weighing purposes should I weigh at 4 weeks, 8 weeks and the week of processing? Any help or advice would be great. Thank you all for such a great forum

Determining sex can depend on the person and the amount of experience one has at it. It was posted the other day also that does have a streamlined look to their heads, whereas bucks are more "cheeky" (like a stallion). I would imagine this would apply as the kits get older, but I don't know. The first two litters I sexed early and was right about 60%, this current litter I've not sexed at all and they're going on 7 weeks.

I like weighing every two weeks, simply so I have a more complete demographic of how all these kits grow--and you have a better idea which kits to keep for breeding purposes that have better grow rates than their siblings.

Some can sex them at birth it's just a matter of practice

I weigh litters weekly since I use this data to judge the quality of the parents genetics and the does ability to produce milk - poor performers are quickly replaced

I can get a pretty good idea at two weeks, at three weeks I am pretty accurate, four weeks I am confident. What I did to help me learn was when I checked at two weeks I kept track of which ones I thought were does and which were bucks. I wrote it down and marked the kits ears with a sharpie. Then I checked them every week after that to see if I was right or not. If you keep good notes you can teach yourself what to look for.

Latest posts

Back