2 week olds and nest box (and a pic!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cali

Reaction score
Scarlett's 2nd litter is 2 weeks old! They are so cute. All of them are doing quite well. I cleaned out their nest box today as they were peeing quite a bit and it was getting a bit smelly, and I have noticed that a couple of them are climbing out of it. It's kind of high, so they're not able to get back in. Luckily it hasn't been too cold so they are okay, but I'm worried about them at night. What kind of accommodations do y'all use for your little explorers?

And a picture!

8027_10151670571471622_1624107877_n.jpg

What cuties! I love that age! :D

I use cat litter jugs. You may need to drill a couple holes in the side and zip tie it to the wire.

IMG_6099.JPG

MSD, you have the best ideas!! That is just awesome, I love the Rabbitouille Restaurant :D Hrmm, my cat asks to go outside to potty along with the dogs so we don't have a litter box, but I bet there's someone around who needs to get rid of their litter jugs.
So, mama doesn't need access to the box anymore?

Why thank you, Cali! :D I try to be creative and also reuse as much as possible. :)

The front of my nests are hinged so they can be opened when the kits start leaving the nest. I usually put the jug in a day or two before removing the nest completely so I know the kits have found shelter in the jug.

Once the kits leave the nest, they will chase the doe to nurse at will. This is usually very upsetting to her, so it is nice if she has a shelf (or BunnyBucket!) to escape them. You might try putting the nest on its side so the kits can still go in it if they wish and the doe can hop on top to get away from her ravening hoard of hungry mouths.

Latest posts

Back