2 week old bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMeal

Reaction score
These are 2 week old bunnies. They weigh 3/4 Lbs. Is this normal for little ones?

Attachments

• IMG_3463a.jpg
    IMG_3463a.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 462
WOW, that seems very very good for their age. Mine are probably about 5-8 ounces at two weeks.

CUUUUTE babies!

I have never seen bunnies that big at 2 weeks! :p<br /><br />__________ Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:50 pm __________<br /><br />I wonder if Pudge, Maggie's buck who was a singleton, was that big at 2 weeks.

There are 3 bunnies in that litter. The mom is a NZW. The dad may be a NZ Red. I'm not sure so he is a mutt. The last litter he threw with this rabbit was 9 days late and the buns were born with fur, 4 were dead and the other one lived a week. I don't know which rabbit is causing the small litter. I bred him to another NZW 2 weeks ago.
I had another litter born the same day that had 8 to another NZW from a Holland Lop and her kits weigh 1/2 Lb.

Attachments

• IMG_3459.jpga.jpg
    IMG_3459.jpga.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 442
From everything I've been finding it seems that the smaller the litter, the larger the kits. I wouldn't worry, but I don't know that I'd keep the. For breeders unless the mom usually throws larger litters, as I've heard litter size is genetic. In my mind, if rather have more than bigger.

HoppyMeal":38pl5eey said:
The last litter he threw with this rabbit was 9 days late and the buns were born with fur, 4 were dead and the other one lived a week.
I had a litter born that late. It was the first litter from our NZW after we moved. She had a stuck kit, and 5 of 7 kits were dead. The other two didn't even look late. No fur or anything. Some of the dead kits seemed like they may have been dead a while. I think they may have made the environment somewhat inhospitable, causing the other kits to stop really maturing. :shrug:

Of the two that survived, one never grew. It furred out, but couldn't get enough to eat without supplementation. Even with formula, she was getting weaker. I finally withheld one single feeding, since a healthy kit should be able to handle missing one feeding. She died.

The other kit, my daughter reminded me, actually did get almost that size by two weeks, because he had all the milk pretty much to himself!

Miss M":2ovkrw9m said:
I have never seen bunnies that big at 2 weeks! :p

__________ Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:50 pm __________

I wonder if Pudge, Maggie's buck who was a singleton, was that big at 2 weeks.

Pudge wasn't quite that big! He hit one pound (454 g.) at 17 days. At 21 days, he weighed 20.6 oz. - before feeding.

All of the pics look like monster kits to me. I have one and a half week old kits and I carried them inside the house last night for some cuddle time with the wife. I carried both of them in one hand while carrying other stuff with the other. I can't imagine them catching up to that size by Thursday.

Of course, these are from a first time mommy that didn't feed them for several days. We hand fed them formula, then force fed until the mom took over.

I should keep track of other litters and see if they're that big at 2 weeks.

TMTex, I think you only get bunnies that size and that fast-growing in small litters when the doe has a great supply of milk. It's not something you can duplicate at will. And while our Pudge, now our herd sire, does his job well, he is not siring super-kits... just nice, chunky normal meat mutts.

Holy moley, those are big babies! I just weighed my 3 week olds (litter of 7 rex) and the heaviest one is only 8 oz. congrats on your big beautiful buns!

WOW! those are some big babies!
my mini/holland lops weighed about 4-7 ounces at 2 weeks, and their eyes weren't open till about 5!
I need to get me some NZ's.....

I fihured it was a small litter thats why I asked....NZ especially whites are supposed to be greatmilk producers...so since there were 3...they turned into CUTE little porkersI love em....My half NZ mutt is nursing a chubby litter of 9!!!!You gotta post the other pics of you other litter so we could gawk!! :)

Tomorrow I will post pics of both litters.

__________ Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:06 pm __________

Here are pictures of all the babes.IMG_3486.jpgd.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3483.jpgb.jpg
    IMG_3483.jpgb.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_3484.jpgc.jpg
    IMG_3484.jpgc.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 324
So adorable, little chunky balls of fluff. :D Congrats in your big kits. -waves one hand to distract you and tries to take the largest buck with the other- :p

lol I love the pic with them in the skillet, It takes a special forum to truly appreciate something like that lol haha Those are some beautiful kits, I wonder how much all mine will weight at 15 days, my doe had 9 :x

Back