2 new rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKirst

Reaction score
I got 2 new rabbits last night from the same breeder I got the pedigreed does from.

I seen she was advertizing rabbits for sale and asked if she had a broken red buck. She said yes and a red doe too !! :p

I asked her if she could breed the doe with her Orange/Harlequin (like she did the 3 pedigreed does I bought from her a couple months ago) and if she did I'd buy the doe and buck - she said yes. :p

So now I have a broken red buck and a red doe.

When she posted the pictures to me online I didn't see that he was booted or amount of color because he was in a ceramic bowl and a bit younger. When I got there I seen he was booted and alot of color, I brought him home anyway. She did give me a great deal on the both of them. :D She said they are pedigreed and she'll send me the pedigrees online. I don't even know their names yet. She did tell me the buck is a baby from her Black/Orange Harlequin.

I don't know what it is but for the life of me I cannot find rabbits with fur like on my John and Jack. At least I know all CupCakes babies will have Jacks fur... I can see it already. They all feel like baby Johns and Jacks !! That's the fur I want to show the Judges. Hopefully they have CupCakes type. :roll:

Anyhows, now that I have this broken red buck - I did some research on breeding booted rabbits last night. I'm not sure I want to breed this rabbit to Splash, CupCake or StarLight. A few different websites say booted rabbits produce all booted rabbits and booted rabbits ruin an otherwise good bloodline for generations, one website said even 10 generations later it could pop back up. Different websites say different things and honestly I don't know which from which so - I have to ask here - is it a good idea to breed a booted rabbit if I want to show the offspring ? What are the percentages of him producing showable brokens vs non showable booteds and for how many generations will it linger hidden ?

I really like him because he's carries Harlequin from his dad (I think the best mini rex the breeder has) .. but is he worth a breeding buck for my herd if I'm wanting to breed for shows ?

Here are pictures of the doe and buck. I clipped the does toe nails this morning, I took the picture last night. ;) Watcha think ?

IMG_20121205_195519-1.jpg

IMG_20121205_195318-1.jpg

To my understanding, red is recessive to Harlequin or Tri, which would mean a red cant carry tri. I may be wrong though.

Red is recessive to harlie, it is the most recessive gene on the E locus.

There has been some controversy over booted. Many people cull them from the barn, because mismarked kits will show up a lot, though I believe akane has not had that problem. It is up to you. The only tri color carrier I could find was a booted doe. I'll let you know when she finally has some kits.

The fur is a little longish for a Rex, right around the hind quarters. Good Rex fur is tough to find, but easy to breed in and fix when you finally get the right type.

Ya, I thought the fur was long too, but she said they are molting and it will go back to normal soon. ;)

If I would have know he was a booted from the very beginning I wouldn't have bought him, honestly. I really like this breeder it's hard to say no to all the offers most the time.

I've been looking for a broken Standard Rex for John for awhile now. I can't breed John to any of my does because he is huge .. he really grew up to be a big rabbit. Last I weighed him he was over 9 pounds already @ 8 months old. That was early last month.

The breeder did go out and get a Standard Rex doe but I turned it down because I didn't want an Opal and it had a thick film over it's one eye. And honestly, John is a beautiful Standard Rex with awesome fur, I want a doe to compliment him.

Skysthelimit, you breed Standard Rex, ya ? You coming to the Lebanon Show in Feb ? If so maybe I can buy one from you ?

MKirst":1dkgc8z0 said:
Ya, I thought the fur was long too, but she said they are molting and it will go back to normal soon. ;)

If I would have know he was a booted from the very beginning I wouldn't have bought him, honestly. I really like this breeder it's hard to say no to all the offers most the time.

I've been looking for a broken Standard Rex for John for awhile now. I can't breed John to any of my does because he is huge .. he really grew up to be a big rabbit. Last I weighed him he was over 9 pounds already @ 8 months old. That was early last month.

The breeder did go out and get a Standard Rex doe but I turned it down because I didn't want an Opal and it had a thick film over it's one eye. And honestly, John is a beautiful Standard Rex with awesome fur, I want a doe to compliment him.

Skysthelimit, you breed Standard Rex, ya ? You coming to the Lebanon Show in Feb ? If so maybe I can buy one from you ?

Standard Rex is my main breed. I am not sure about Feb, if my friend wants to make the drive with me again (8hrs) then I will be there. I am not breeding any of my juniors until then, they will be 8 mos and in prime coat. I have some nice black otters, and two litters of otters on the way, one will carry chocolate.
Sounds like the doe I saw last year there. A nice opal, and I was looking for opal, but she had what looked like a cataract, and she told me it was from a scratch when she was younger, but I did not want to take any chances.
Longish fur happens in Rex. I had a very nice buck with prominent guard hairs, looked a bit like he'd been electrocuted, but he had such nice type. So far, the only kit I kept from him is a fast growing, typey doe with great fur.

I took the chance with the mini Rex, it's so hard to get tri. But I don't put them on the table anyway.

The breeder sounds little shady, if you are talking about the same person with mini and full size rex. Tried to sell a doe with an eye problem twice, then sold you a booted as broken, which it obviously isn't. Then will send you papers online? hmmm.

If it were mine, I would not breed a booted into a line I wanted to show. However, if you are playing with the harlequin/tri colors and it has it in it's background, I don't see what it will hurt. Booted bunnies should sell easily as pets.

Ok thanks for the replies. I'm not going to use him in my Jack lines. Maybe I'll start a different project with this booted buck. See what becomes of it. Something tells me though, the red doe and the booted buck are mom and son. I just have to wait till she sends me the pedigrees I guess.

If that's the case then - both of them will have to be excluded from Jacks lines going forward. ;)

Latest posts

Back