2 issues I need advice on

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
I have had a problem lately with sore hocks. Even kits that are 2-3 months are getting them. Every rabbit has a tile for resting.

Is this a genetic issue? I really don't want to be passing it along if it is and I might have to make some hard decisions if you guys think it is.

Second problem is that I had a doe bred 2 months ago. I thought for some reason it was just a month ago but I've had some memory issues and I realized it was much longer than that.

She's HUGE. Like a big frog belly huge. Eating, drinking, pooping and peeing. Did she retain the kits? Advice on what to do? I saw the male fall off at least twice. Her spine and bones feel normal weight, I don't think she's obese. I think either she retained kits or has a tumor??? Anyway, advice on that would be welcome. I guess if I put her down I'd want to wait at least another couple weeks just in case I was wrong on breeding date.

Obviously I'm writing it down from here on out... Well emailing myself anyway!

On the sore hock problem what breed are they because Rex and mini Rex have that problem. Have you felt her tummy to see if there is anything? For the sore hocks all u need is neosporin and patients my Rex has sore hocks now and that is really helping her.

EnglishSpot":1jdfl4mk said:
Be sure to do a thread search in the 'Search' box in the right hand panel under the log out button for Sore Hocks. You'll find lots of suggestions on older threads.

I know, and I will. I've been on this forum for a very long time and have read plenty about it, but my mind doesn't hold information very well. LOL

Many who know me know I have vision issues so reading through long threads is not always an option for me.

If you are seeing sore hocks on your juniors may I suggest you check out your floor wire and see what shape that is in. 2 months old kits shouldn't be getting sore hocks...but if you are running them on chicken wire that might be affecting them.

If it isn't a poor wire issue then you are most likely dealing with
1. bacterial build up
2. rats possibly nibbling on feet?
3. genetic issues
4. problems with footing being wet?

something to think about anyways.

ladysown":qoliduqa said:
If you are seeing sore hocks on your juniors may I suggest you check out your floor wire and see what shape that is in. 2 months old kits shouldn't be getting sore hocks...but if you are running them on chicken wire that might be affecting them.

If it isn't a poor wire issue then you are most likely dealing with
1. bacterial build up
2. rats possibly nibbling on feet?
3. genetic issues
4. problems with footing being wet?

something to think about anyways.

Rats are a real issue here.

And so is rain. I will put out more rat bait, and reinforce the roofs to make sure they are staying dryer. Its been unseasonably wet.

If this is a line that has been doing fine up until recently with feet, I wouldn't think it would be genetic. Is it just one line or all of the juniors? If you've had litters before, no issues...same parents, there's some thing else besides genes going on. Wet and rust will make feet sore fast, is it just sore hocks or is actually some thing worse like a staph infection? Staph is harder to get rid of and easier to bed in wire that is bit rusted.

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":1jpih6ce said:
If this is a line that has been doing fine up until recently with feet, I wouldn't think it would be genetic. Is it just one line or all of the juniors? If you've had litters before, no issues...same parents, there's some thing else besides genes going on. Wet and rust will make feet sore fast, is it just sore hocks or is actually some thing worse like a staph infection? Staph is harder to get rid of and easier to bed in wire that is bit rusted.

Yes previously this line was doing fine and didn't have sore hocks.

I don't see rust but def wet from all the extra rain.

Latest posts

Back