2 Does kindled small litter, how to best proceed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two Cali does both sisters. Both have had 9 successful litters. Age 4years in Feb 24. All litters 5 kits and as much as 13. Avg. 8 kits.

No false pregnancies until this Sept, both of them. Speculated it was heat sterility on the bucks part due to temps near 90 in the previous weeks.

Rebred both a day apart on 10/23 10/24. Kiddled on day 31. Two small kits but looked healthy and fed. Had to bring them in their first night due to being in the low thirties.

Second doe kiddled just one really chucky kit on day 34.
Should I put the one big one in with the two or the two into the one.? Neither will survive if I leave them as the temps will be in the low thirties this week in upstate Ny.

Also why do you think they are having small litters. Both had 3 great fall offs and rebred twice 8 hrs later.
Thank you.

I've decided to put the day old chubby one into the massive fur nest with the two small 4 day old ones, as this probably will keep them warmer tonight in the 20's
Praying there is no rejection.
I need to sleep all night and not be up warming kits in the middle of the night

I think you made the right decision. I suspect the small litters could be due to aging, but I would give both does another chance, in case the buck was still low on swimmers.

Poor thing, luckily they have pretty short memories. you could give her a few days and rebreed, unless you want them synchronized. It sure paid off this time.

Poor thing, luckily they have pretty short memories. you could give her a few days and rebreed, unless you want them synchronized. It sure paid off this time.
I would rebreed both in a week or so. 3 is a small.litter and if they have 5 weeks to nurse that is a respectable time to separate or not, depending on thr next litter size. You may just combine litters and give to the mom without babies...

Thank you
One doe had 2, other doe had 1.
I fostered the one kit to the doe who had two. All is well and everyone is doing great at 25 degrees this morning. I will rebreed both does at weaning time.
How will I know if it's the does or the buck? Both does are sisters. Does are 4 years. Buck is at 3yrs.

Latest posts

Back