1x2 wire vertically (cage building)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnerSurvivor

Reaction score
I built a couple cages and on two of the sides I put the 1"x2" wire vertically instead of horizontally. I am assuming you want the wire horizontally so small rabbits cant get there heads stuck in them but is there any problem keeping older larger rabbits in a vertical wire cage? I seem to be learning alot of rabbit lessons the hard way lately and I am hoping to avoid another mini disaster.
Thanks

The cages I bought from BASS all have vertical wire. The only cages that don't are some growout pens that I built.

Vertical is fine. What you might want to use with your cages with kits is baby-saver wire. It's wire with much smaller openings that you put around the bottom 3-4" of the cage walls.

Thanks to both of you! I will probably just attach that small square wire (cant remember what its called) to a few inches of the bottoms of the brooding cages. I recently lost a registered doe who was at day 29 of gestation to a stupid dog and I really would hate to lose any more rabbits!

DonnerSurvivor":2tt7z8wg said:
Thanks to both of you! I will probably just attach that small square wire (cant remember what its called) to a few inches of the bottoms of the brooding cages.
If you're thinking of hardware cloth, I wouldn't use that. The wire is very fine and could cut the rabbits. You could use a 4" strip of 1/2" x 1" floor wire around the bottom of the cage as baby-saver wire.

I recently lost a registered doe who was at day 29 of gestation to a stupid dog and I really would hate to lose any more rabbits!
You need more than baby-saver wire to prevent that. You might want to consider fencing your rabbit area to keep predators away, electrifying the fence, if necessary (to keep climbing critters such as raccoons away). Even if a predator can't actually reach the rabbit, it could cause the rabbit to freak out and have a heart attack or to leap and break its back.

trinityoaks":2t4mg6a0 said:
DonnerSurvivor":2t4mg6a0 said:
Thanks to both of you! I will probably just attach that small square wire (cant remember what its called) to a few inches of the bottoms of the brooding cages.
If you're thinking of hardware cloth, I wouldn't use that. The wire is very fine and could cut the rabbits. You could use a 4" strip of 1/2" x 1" floor wire around the bottom of the cage as baby-saver wire.

I recently lost a registered doe who was at day 29 of gestation to a stupid dog and I really would hate to lose any more rabbits!
You need more than baby-saver wire to prevent that. You might want to consider fencing your rabbit area to keep predators away, electrifying the fence, if necessary (to keep climbing critters such as raccoons away). Even if a predator can't actually reach the rabbit, it could cause the rabbit to freak out and have a heart attack or to leap and break its back.
The rabbits are in a shed, This doe knocked the nest box off the cage somehow and got into the shed and the only way out of the shed is through the door so somehow it must have bolted threw the door without being seen, Just unlucky all around.

1 X 2 wire is fine for the sides and top of any rabbit cage.
I suggest that you make the floor out of 1/2 X 1 floor wire.
Cut 4 " strips of the floor wire and {J] clip it to all of
the sides of the cage from the bottom up. This will prevent
babies/kits from climbing/falling through to the ground.
This IS Baby saver wire. I do this with all of my Doe cages.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":3nahdivy said:
1 X 2 wire is fine for the sides and top of any rabbit cage.
I suggest that you make the floor out of 1/2 X 1 floor wire.
Cut 4 " strips of the floor wire and {J] clip it to all of
the sides of the cage from the bottom up. This will prevent
babies/kits from climbing/falling through to the ground.
This IS Baby saver wire. I do this with all of my Doe cages.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:
Thanks. I did use 1/2x 1 for the floor ill just have to go back and add some to the sides. I was going to use hardware cloth because its cheap but if 1/2x1 is the way to go ill just use it. I had bought some cages when I first got rabbits again after a long hiatus and all the wire ran horizontally so I thought that it was to prevent small rabbits from getting their heads stuck.

Back