1st time processing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milby

Reaction score
I am going to process my first batch of rabbits this weekend and have a couple questions about it.

Can I put them in freezer bags and put them in the freezer immediately after cleaning them, or do I need to soak them in salt water for a period of time first? (if so, how much salt and how long to soak?)

Do you use vacuum seal machine? Regular freezer bags? Butcher Paper?

thanks

There are probably as many ways to process rabbits as there are varieties of them. :)

I can only tell you what I do. After we butcher, the rabbits go into freezer bags, but they go into the fridge for two days first to let rigor pass. Then they go into the freezer. We don't brine (we like to keep things simple). We only butcher fryers, and I am not sure if there are any different steps that should be taken for older rabbits.

Good luck!

I process fairly large bunns, weight wise..so I put them in a large bag in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. then on the 4th day either portion or vacuum seal whole and freeze. Some members here say they do not get rigor in their rabbits but I have always experienced it so...
A great video on processing is Grumpy's processing video ..it is a sticky in meat rabbits, I only use his method and I think it is best..my opinion...Learn all you can and be prepared. Best of luck to you..this is the hard part..

I let all my dispatched rabbits rest for 2 days in the frig.

Edit. Unless I eat it that same day in witch I begin coming it right after processing.

You need to let the meat rest in the fridge for 2 to 4 days (depending on who you talk to). I usually go 3 or 4 days.

Then cut up and bag or vacuum seal. Be sure to mark the package with a date and whether it's a fryer, roaster, or stewer.

Then throw it in the freezer and consider it a job well done.

I don't. I just put it in the frig in a zip lock bag and try to get add much air out as possible.

Milby":mpxe4h8f said:
do you just let it soak in water in the fridge for two days?

We leave ours in a big pot of water in the bottom of the fridge until rigor passes which for us is more like 6 days. Don't know whether having them in water makes it last longer? :? We just did it that way because of something we'd read the first time (a year ago) and it worked so we've kept doing it that way. Have 5 in there that were done Monday and should be ready to cook or freeze tomorrow or Saturday. And we always eat the hearts, livers, and kidneys the day we butcher--sauteed in butter and olive oil with onions and shiitake mushrooms.

Rainey":u9rljbi3 said:
And we always eat the hearts, livers, and kidneys the day we butcher--sauteed in butter and olive oil with onions and shiitake mushrooms.

Delicious! I rinse well and put mine in the freezer, generally. Sometimes they rest in the fridge. I've not noticed a difference but I am still madly in love with rabbit soup/stew so they are always tender anyway.

We do have some members whose rabbits don't seem to go into rigor for some reason. If yours do (which you should know after they have a few hours in the fridge), they'll need to stay in the fridge for a few days to let rigor pass. Then they can go into the freezer.

Hm, I didn't know about rigor when I started, and had some chewy meals. Putting them into a wine/vegetable soup marinade for 24h helped, also freezing and the pressure cooker seemed to make the meat more tender.

Since I know about that I let them in the fridge for 2 days, and freeze then.

I let mine sit in the fridge for 2-5 days.
We just portion them and freeze whenever we have time after the second day.

Livers get seared with onions and butter and then ground into pate for gluten-free crackers.

Usually, the back straps and "wings" get used up before they ever make it to the freezer.
The thighs, bellies and scraps I prefer to grind.

I've been removing fat deposits and lymph nodes that seem to be tucked into them, because my family swears this improves the flavor.
I dunno if it really does anything, or if they just like to make more work for me.. :?

I let the meat sit in the fridge for 3-4 days as well. And like mystang said, it's imperative to try and get as much air out of the bag as you possibly can. After the 3-4 days put them in the freezer for a rainy day. Just my 2 cents :D

Latest posts

Back