1st litter questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

II Arrows

Reaction score
Im not sure how to word this properly but here it goes. Is there or would there be a significant size difference in kits from a first time mama and her first litter compared to her 2nd and 3rd litter and so on? I have 2 first time mama's who both raised 8 kits. One cali doe who is a little over 10 pounds and a black new zealand doe is just under 9 by 2 or 3 ounces. They were both bred to My white new zealand buck who is 9 and a half pounds. The new zealand kits are a little over 8 weeks and I'm way off the mark. My biggest is a white kit that weighs in at 3 pounds 6 ounces. My cali new zealand crosses are 4 weeks and my biggest is 1 pound even, compared to my smallest at a little over 11 ounces. I know there are tons of variables. Should I or can I expect to see bigger and faster growing kits as they have more litters? The ones that haven't went to new homes by 12 weeks will be going to the camp, plus they are eating me out of house and home......and my paycheck! Any info would be appreciated. Thanks all

Should I or can I expect to see bigger and faster growing kits as they have more litters?
Maybe :cheesysmile:

About 60% of my does have better milk production (determined by the weight of 4 kits in the litter) after the 2nd or 3rd litter but the other 40% do not have a significant increase in kit size in their next litters

I also only let my does feed a maximum of 8 kits and take into account that does with only 6 or 7 kits will likely have bigger babies due to less competition

I'm also trying to understand what to expect. Just had a doe kindle Tuesday, her second litter, and she had 13 after having just 6 and only raising 4 her first time. Both yesterday and today when we checked all the kits look well fed. I have no idea what to expect the next time--would plan to breed her once more this year before we stop for the winter, probably giving her longer before breeding her back because this is such a large litter.

How long do you leave them with the doe, IIArrows? I'm trying to see how that affects grow out time. And I assume you're feeding pellets, since you mention the cost. I'm feeding hay, some grain and lots of forage, which costs time instead of money. But it also gives an incentive to weed more of the edges that get neglected at our farm.

I started to wean at 6 weeks but I still have 2 of the biggest with mama now at a little over 8 weeks. She hasn't shown any aggression that I've seen. There really isn't much of a difference in weight between the ones I've weaned and the two that I haven't yet, maybe a few ounces. I feed manna pro pellet feed, coastal hay and a few greens here and there. I just recently started to give a top coating of calf mana

Latest posts

Back