14 gauge. What should I buy? Listing I found locally

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agavedesert

Reaction score
Hi, I am almost resigned to making cages myself. Most I've seen locally are $200+ or obviously for pets not breeders. This will be my first time owning rabbits.

Can someone please tell me if I'm on the right track with this listing?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/grd/4402580232.html

And if so, what should I buy? I am purchasing two young does and a buck soon. I won't need a grow out pen for 6 months.

Thanks in advance. :)

I wish I could find an ad like that around me. Only rolls I found near me on craigslist were too short to do any good. 14g GAW is top shelf wire from what I have read. You normally use .5x1 for the floors and 1x2 for the top and sides. Ideally the height of the roll should be as big as the shortest of the width or depth of your cage. So if you plan to build a 24"x30" cage you would need a roll at least 24" tall. This will allow you to do the top and bottom in one piece.

I would buy up some wire there real quick. I can't find 14 gauge 1x1/2 locally. I would buy some of the 24" wide wire. Making cages is not too hard. Good luck.

Buy all that you can possibly afford................................
Then buy some more. :p :p :p :p :p :p

Those are really good prices. One thing about it, stored properly, that
wire will do nothing but go up in value. It's like money in the bank.

All 14 gauge wire??? Buy a really good cutter, they're not that expensive.
Harbor-Freight or Northern Tool has electric snips for around a $100.00.
Your hands will "Thank-You" forever.

The 18" baby saver wire is a must for the sides, fronts, and backs.
Figure the depth of the cages you want....by the 1/2" X 1" for that.
Get the same width wire for the top...1" X 2" is good.

Then, buy some more. I guarantee you, you'll use it up eventually.

Grumpy.

grumpy":2gfskr61 said:
Buy all that you can possibly afford................................
Then buy some more. :p :p :p :p :p :p

:yeahthat:

grumpy":2gfskr61 said:
Buy a really good cutter, they're not that expensive.

I use a grinder to cut my wire. Some caution against it, saying that it will break the welds, but I have never had any trouble with that happening to good quality wire.

MamaSheepdog":2uuxynic said:
I use a grinder to cut my wire. Some caution against it, saying that it will break the welds, but I have never had any trouble with that happening to good quality wire.

I'd have loved some electric snips when I was cutting wire recently. I too used a grinder with a cut off wheel and didn't have problems with the welds breaking. I wasn't using as good of wire as the op can get. I've manually cut before and would hate to have to do too many cages like that.

The grinder is probably better than the electric snips, if you do it right you don't have a problem with sharp points sticking out on the ends. Any snips I tried still left points sticking out that had to be trimmed down.

Back