1 week from due date, doe acting weird

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Asking for my friend who isn't on here. She has a NZ mutt doe due in one week, acting "odd." This doe is NOT a first timer. She IS eating and drinking but much less than normal. She's not lethargic per se, just uninterested. My friend was worried about GI stasis but brought the doe inside to keep an eye on her, and decided after 36 hours it's not stasis after all (she's had bowel movements, not exhibiting pain signs, etc). She asked me to check here, anyone had this happen with an expectant doe, and what was the outcome?

Asking for my friend who isn't on here. She has a NZ mutt doe due in one week, acting "odd." This doe is NOT a first timer. She IS eating and drinking but much less than normal. She's not lethargic per se, just uninterested. My friend was worried about GI stasis but brought the doe inside to keep an eye on her, and decided after 36 hours it's not stasis after all (she's had bowel movements, not exhibiting pain signs, etc). She asked me to check here, anyone had this happen with an expectant doe, and what was the outcome?
I've had does act that way, especially when it was warm out and/or they had very big litters. They run out of room in their guts when their babies are near-term and big, so they lose their appetite (it also happened to me :LOL: ). If it's an experienced doe, her body often "goes with it" willingly, and they get big and uncomfortable sooner than when they were new at the game (that happened to me, too :ROFLMAO:). As long as she eats and drinks something, and does not start losing weight, I would just watch and not worry.

I've had does act that way, especially when it was warm out and/or they had very big litters. They run out of room in their guts when their babies are near-term and big, so they lose their appetite (it also happened to me :LOL: ). If it's an experienced doe, her body often "goes with it" willingly, and they get big and uncomfortable sooner than when they were new at the game (that happened to me, too :ROFLMAO:). As long as she eats and drinks something, and does not start losing weight, I would just watch and not worry.
This is what I guessed too (also based on my own pregnancy experiences LOL) but it’s going to be reassuring to hear it from others too, I think. Thanks guys :)

Latest posts

Back