1 rabbit, 4 different meals

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Older rabbit, nice and large :)

Pressure cooked in LOTS of water with peppercorns, old bay seasoning, and 2 huge onions chopped. 15lbs pressure for just 2 minutes and then cooled.

Strain and reserve broth.(I ended up with 2.5gallons of broth) Strip meat from bones....it will fall off the bones easily (toss out bones..they're done now)

Meal 1: soup from 1/2 the broth. Add anything you like...tons more onions, potatoes, carrots, bags of frozen veggies, chopped fresh veggies. VERY hearty taste to the broth. If you leave out the potatoes, this is an EXCELLENT soup/broth for weight loss. There is so little fat in a rabbit broth that you have a hard time finding any to skim off! and the taste is VERY deep and filling.

Meal 2: rabbit and dumplings. This can be made from left over soup for the next day, Just add some of the meat, heat the soup and drop in dumplings..you will end up with thicker soup and delicious dumplings

Meal 3: Pasta salad with rabbit meat. GREAT meal for a hot summer lunch. Cook either elbow macaroni or twists or shells, cool. add chopped onions, and chopped rabbit meat(1" chunks or strips). mix in your favorite dressing..anything from plain mayonaise, to ranch or a light tasting mayo based dressing. Chill

Meal 4: with the final left over rabbit shreds, just mix with BBQ sauce. Let it sit for a few hours in the fridge, then heat and serve on buns like shredded BBQ pork/chicken/manwich type meal.

I have been hearing fantastic raving "reviews" of bbq rabbit and sloppy hoppy sandwiches (like pulled pork, sloppy joes combo I think) But that broth sounds great! My mom has a pressure canner but no pressure cooker I don't think...would anyone on here trust a pressure cooker bought at goodwill or a thrift store?

Actually, I don't think they are the same thing. You can use a pressure canner for cooking, but you shouldn't use a pressure cooker for canning. They aren't designed to hold the exact level of pressure & heat for the time it takes to can, as there's more leeway in cooking.

SB

Ah... I have a pressure canner, and thought they were one and the same. :)

Seems to me a canner is more versatile than a pressure cooker then.

I pressure cook chickens in my canner all the time! They come out so yummy and tender!

This post is definately going into my bookmarks! :)

My 80+ year old friends who mentored us on a lot of our self sufficiency learning said they never used a pressure canner for anything and never had any problems. I suspect that with due caution the pressure cooker could be used for canning.

Latest posts

Back