Sewing projects

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikegurl

Reaction score
After the little chat-box discussion regarding what sewing projects people are working on, I thought I would start a thread about it... ;)
I enjoy sewing clothing in particular. I want to learn how to take measurements, then draft patterns from them accurately. That way I could theoretically make ANY garment that strikes my fancy! :mrgreen: The problem is, I know NOBODY that does this. I got a few books ("Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear" and "Metric Pattern Cutting for Children's Wear and Babywear" by Winifred Aldrich) that hopefully will make it possible for me to be successful. It has been a stiff learning curve so far....The first garment I tried making for my sister was mostly a failure. Her measurements are far from 'standard' (large bust, small waist, very short torso) and that added greatly to the difficulty. The dress turned out pretty much how she wanted - the bodice just didn't fit right. :( I'll have another go at that once she's ready to come back for lots more measuring! :lol:
In the meantime, I'm trying a simpler project...a jacket for my 1 1/2 year old. I didn't measure her (pretty much impossible to get accurate measurements off a wiggling toddler! :p ). I used the standard measurements for her height bracket. I have to cut out and sew up the first draft....then we shall see if my pattern-making worked this time! :)
It is fun and rather challenging. There is quite a bit of math involved, but that is made simpler by using millimeters and centimeters, which takes some getting used to, after growing up using primarily inches. :|

So... what are you all working on? I know some of you do quilting, some do costuming; I would love to hear more about your sewing projects! :D

I make most of my own clothes. I don't feel like me in anything else.

I have used patterns and nearly always alter them.

My favorite way to make clothing is to start with something I love and make a pattern from it, changing anything I desire in the process. It's far easier, IMO to make up one's own pattern from a favorite article of clothing. Things like darts, closures and seams are extremely easy to allow for.... as are adjustments for fullness in different areas. Every "body" is unique. And for that reason, making one's own clothing is the best way to go.

I want to try making clothes. So far all i have done is a couple "pillowcase" style dresses for my girls... far from complicated or fancy :lol:

Quilts are my thing. I joked to DH that it seemed kind of silly to cut apart perfectly good fabric just to turn around and sew it back together, but that's what I do :lol: . I don't do fancy, but practical - I don't want them to sit on display, I want them to be well loved and used. Simple patterns with fabrics chosen for the recipient. I have dabbled in some hand quilting, and am currently piecing together a baby quilt on a family treadle machine which takes way more coordination that I think I have in me... that's OK though, it's slow going, but it works beautifully. I am collecting various machines from in the family - i have my great-grandmothers Featherweight (complete with her certificate for completing a class for it in 1935), my grandmothers Kenmore in a cabinet, and DH's great uncles New Home Treadle with all it's fascinating accessories (I love watching the gears work)... A friend helped me personalize my sister's older Singer with decals for my oldest daughter to start learning on. She likes to sew patterns in paper. I still have one newer machine that I am hanging onto for now because I can't free motion quilt on anything else - I snap needles left and right for some reason... plus there's something just a little off with my grandmothers. I need to tinker with the tension to see if that's all it is. I might have to get it serviced soon, ugh $$$. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:18 pm __________ <br /><br /> I really really want to take a class at the local community college for alterations... but there's never enough interest for them to actually hold it :(

bikegurl, take apart a jacket that fits your daughter in fullness. The length, fabric and style details are not important. Best for a beginner to make something that doesn't need a lining, so go with wool or fleece or something of the like. Take the seams out of the sample jacket and cut out a pattern from a paper feed bag or wrapping paper. In doing so, cut the new pattern with more length, fullness or slight shape changes as you desire. Then cut the pieces from fabric and sew it together. This would be a great first project because it's small and simple. I wish I could get my sewing machine out! We live in a bus, so I need every inch of space for living. I can take it out at my daughter's place. Wish you were closer. I love sewing clothes and it would be fun to help you. :)

You can make a duct tape bodice. It's really easy to do and will fit you perfectly (you will need someone to wrap you in tape). To make it into a flat pattern you just cut it where you would normally have darts and trace it onto paper. After you have that, you can follow instructions to modify patterns (adding ease, collars, etc) and have a pattern that fits. I did this for my daughter with a Renaissance bodice I made her and it worked very well.

The bodice wasn't perfect, because I didn't add any boning or enough layers to make it stiff and it could have been a bit tighter, but the fit was really good it just tended to wrinkle at the waist.

Attachments

• IMG_20141031_153340.resized.resized.jpg
    IMG_20141031_153340.resized.resized.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 2,165
alforddm":1p9s7ef0 said:
You can make a duct tape bodice. It's really easy to do and will fit you perfectly (you will need someone to wrap you in tape). To make it into a flat pattern you just cut it where you would normally have darts and trace it onto paper. After you have that, you can follow instructions to modify patterns (adding ease, collars, etc) and have a pattern that fits. I did this for my daughter with a Renaissance bodice I made her and it worked very well.

The bodice wasn't perfect, because I didn't add any boning or enough layers to make it stiff and it could have been a bit tighter, but the fit was really good it just tended to wrinkle at the waist.
Wow! What duct tape won't do.... :p

Zinnia":3aztcrqc said:
bikegurl, take apart a jacket that fits your daughter in fullness. The length, fabric and style details are not important. Best for a beginner to make something that doesn't need a lining, so go with wool or fleece or something of the like. Take the seams out of the sample jacket and cut out a pattern from a paper feed bag or wrapping paper. In doing so, cut the new pattern with more length, fullness or slight shape changes as you desire. Then cut the pieces from fabric and sew it together. This would be a great first project because it's small and simple. I wish I could get my sewing machine out! We live in a bus, so I need every inch of space for living. I can take it out at my daughter's place. Wish you were closer. I love sewing clothes and it would be fun to help you. :)

Thanks! Actually, She needs bigger jackets...she's growing out of the ones she has. Also, I don't want to take them apart since she needs them right now! :x
It would be fun to work with/learn from a more experienced sewer. I've seriously considered doing the take-it-apart-to-make-a-pattern method when favorite garments have worn out. I did do it years ago with a simple skirt, but a shirt is so much more complicated to put together, I haven't dared to try it yet. I've made a number of skirts and dresses, but only one or two shirts.

alforddm":3aztcrqc said:

I've read about making a duct tape dress-maker's form. I really want a dress form, but can't afford a conventional one. I've been thinking a lot of doing one of those lately...I even asked my husband if he could help me out by doing the wrapping... :p :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:12 pm __________ <br /><br />
heritage":3aztcrqc said:
I want to try making clothes. So far all i have done is a couple "pillowcase" style dresses for my girls... far from complicated or fancy :lol:

Quilts are my thing. I joked to DH that it seemed kind of silly to cut apart perfectly good fabric just to turn around and sew it back together, but that's what I do :lol: . I don't do fancy, but practical - I don't want them to sit on display, I want them to be well loved and used. Simple patterns with fabrics chosen for the recipient. I have dabbled in some hand quilting, and am currently piecing together a baby quilt on a family treadle machine which takes way more coordination that I think I have in me... that's OK though, it's slow going, but it works beautifully. I am collecting various machines from in the family - i have my great-grandmothers Featherweight (complete with her certificate for completing a class for it in 1935), my grandmothers Kenmore in a cabinet, and DH's great uncles New Home Treadle with all it's fascinating accessories (I love watching the gears work)... A friend helped me personalize my sister's older Singer with decals for my oldest daughter to start learning on. She likes to sew patterns in paper. I still have one newer machine that I am hanging onto for now because I can't free motion quilt on anything else - I snap needles left and right for some reason... plus there's something just a little off with my grandmothers. I need to tinker with the tension to see if that's all it is. I might have to get it serviced soon, ugh $$$.

__________ Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:18 pm __________

I really really want to take a class at the local community college for alterations... but there's never enough interest for them to actually hold it :(

Skirts can be a super easy garment to start on! (If you wear those...I rarely wear other than skirts)

I love old sewing machines! :D That is so neat that you have old ones from in your family. I have a few old machines; two treadles, a beast of an industrial one and two motorized ones. Unfortunately only the two motorized ones actually work. :( The other three all need work in order to be functional. I used a treadle my brother fixed up years ago...and that was fun!

Is free motion quilting when you just put the quilt under the needle and sew curvy lines everywhere? :? I can see how that would break needles....

I love old sewing machines as well. Well, I guess most of mine would be called vintage. I have 2 singer 401a's, a singer 501a, a viking 6030, and a Kenmore something or other. It's one of the ones that uses cams. All of them are great machines. I've even done a bit of work on the singers. I had to replace the motor bearings in one of them.

My mother-in-law has some family machines. She has a singer featherweight that is in wonderful condition with the box and a older treadle machine. She also has a Kenmore dressmaker that she's had since we first got married. She still uses it now and again although since it's not in a cabinet it's really hard for her pick up now. My father-in-law has his mother sewing machine. It's an old single stitch electric singer in a cabinet but both the cabinet and the machine are in rough shape. That machine saw a lot of use.

I agree that skirts are super easy to start on. I love gore skirts with an elastic waist.

Zinnia":16saoo0m said:
Old machines are the best. I've got a Singer 401 and 201. I like something I can work on myself.
Exactly! We bought another cabinet machine from DH's aunt and uncles auction and it was completely locked up. It took some work, but we got it going again!

I owned a really nice Bernina computerized machine for a little while, but I didn't like it. It made me nervous :lol: . Not a huge loss, I sold it for double what I paid for it on eBay ;)

right now i am working on a project organizer. i love to sew! :D i just finished a cheerleader set for a friends daughter.

I'll take a picture of my 401 tomorrow. I have it here on my farm in the shed, so it's handy.

I made my daughter a dress when she was 6 years old. I never buy fabric. I just use whatever sheets, blankets, curtains I can find used (a lot easier 15 years ago). We visited family on Christmas and my daughter wore this green velvet dress I made out of drapes I found. A cousin asked me if I made it to copy "Gone with the Wind". I had never read the book, nor seen the movie, so I was stumped. I had no idea a green velvet dress made from drapes was a famous part of a story. :shock:

Most of my handmade clothes are too small for me now. Yes, they shrunk - I didn't gain weight. (OK, I gained weight) :cry: I have made some "make-do-for-now" clothes. I injured myself last winter and really need to get back into shape so I can make some new clothes. I have some old linen tablecloths and light wool fabric ready for the project when I can do it.

bikegurl":1xruynu2 said:
I want to learn how to take measurements, then draft patterns from them accurately. That way I could theoretically make ANY garment that strikes my fancy! :mrgreen: The problem is, I know NOBODY that does this.
No real time at the moment, but I wanted to point this out: http://www.lutterloh-system.com/

Galadriel and I saw this demonstrated at one of the fabric stores last year. Fascinating! The patterns themselves are smaller than the palm of your hand. Take two measurements and use the measuring thingie that comes with it, and you create a full-sized custom pattern. Mix and match shirt, collar, sleeve. The possibilities are endless. Galadriel wants this thing pretty badly. I have to admit I'd like to get it, too. Right now, the budget will allow only paper patterns on sale for $.99 or $1.99. :roll: I don't remember how much it was, but I seem to recall a discount being offered if you ordered at the demonstration. It was at Hancock's. You can get these things on eBay, though.

I would be very skeptical of anything that relies on only two measurements. I am quite a bit larger through the back than the front. I'm am extremity thick through the back and have small busts. Any kind of shirt or pants require me to take both front and back measures. None of the measure your hips and decide by two techniques work for me.

Let me dig out a few of my books. I have a couple that I can recommend

alforddm":1pc6cyrb said:
I would be very skeptical of anything that relies on only two measurements. I am quite a bit larger through the back than the front. I'm am extremity thick through the back and have small busts. Any kind of shirt or pants require me to take both front and back measures. None of the measure your hips and decide by two techniques work for me.

Let me dig out a few of my books. I have a couple that I can recommend

I was thinking the same thing....it probably works if you have pretty average measurements, but if you have unusual ones... :x

I like to try to get my fabric from thrift stores since buying new, good quality fabric is usually outrageously expensive. I get frustrated doing that though, since it takes forever to sort through the useless items and find something that would actually work. I do hate shopping though, so that is part of the reason I get frustrated... :p

Recently, my husband actually :) , found this company that sells fabrics and things specifically for dyers. The fabrics are rather inexpensive, and seem to be good quality. They sell linen and silk for cheaper than I've found anywhere else! The fabrics are not dyed, so that is the only drawback...you have to add the color! I just made my first order from there and purchased some cotton interlock to make baby clothes, some nice cotton for a shirt or something for me, and some heavy linen to make a sturdy skirt that hopefully will last a long time. I was going to try using natural dyes collected from plants, but then decided to start by using their 'fiber reactive dyes'. I'm quite excited to get the delivery!! Their website is http://www.dharmatrading.com/.

HOWsMom":1pc6cyrb said:
Sewing is one of my hobbies, and I quite enjoy it.

Some of my more recent creations.
Those are nice!!

Latest posts

Back