problem solving around Biscuit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I am in process of building a new cage for Biscuit.

She'll be housed permanently out of doors.

It will be 4 x 4. I am hoping to get most of it done today.
It will have 1 solid side, one partially solid side.
She will kindle out there year round with kits removed at four weeks (which is when she wants them gone).

I need to build her a water proof nestbox (thinking a box with a tube hole in the end with a flap on the other for checking babies).

Suggestions on what to do for a litter box? I'm contemplating using an old cat litter box that will fit inside another cat litter box (that I will ziptie to the bottom) but I'm not sure that it will work with her housecleaning skills. I don't particularly want her eating it either.

She's a determined 11-12 pound doe.

Should mention...any suggestions need to be done with the idea in mind that if she reverts to her former protective self that cleaning/handling can be done with speed and agility in mind. She's never been truly NASTY but she used to be a doe that I'd have to be mindful of.

Suggestions are welcome. Please.

ladysown":3tmv0qur said:
I am in process of building a new cage for Biscuit.

She'll be housed permanently out of doors.

It will be 4 x 4. I am hoping to get most of it done today.
It will have 1 solid side, one partially solid side.
She will kindle out there year round with kits removed at four weeks (which is when she wants them gone).

I need to build her a water proof nestbox (thinking a box with a tube hole in the end with a flap on the other for checking babies).

Suggestions on what to do for a litter box? I'm contemplating using an old cat litter box that will fit inside another cat litter box (that I will ziptie to the bottom) but I'm not sure that it will work with her housecleaning skills. I don't particularly want her eating it either.

She's a determined 11-12 pound doe.

Should mention...any suggestions need to be done with the idea in mind that if she reverts to her former protective self that cleaning/handling can be done with speed and agility in mind. She's never been truly NASTY but she used to be a doe that I'd have to be mindful of.

Suggestions are welcome. Please.

Hmm...sounds like more work than I would be willing to do...

can't really say I find that bit of "advice" helpful OneAcre.

Biscuit is a rabbit that I really like for the most part. I've never had a rabbit CHOOSE me as her person. This rabbit likes me - she is quite specific about it. She's an excellent rabbit, giving me 13 kits in a litter that grow quickly and well. She is also useful as a training tool for new rabbit people who come around, giving me an opportunity to teach them how to handle a hormonal, space protective rabbit. Thusly expending a bit of effort to give her accommodations that suit her, while teaching my son hand-craft is worth it to me.

if she truly was a nasty aggressive, bite before looking and thinking rabbit I wouldn't waste my time on her.

ladysown":31254czc said:
can't really say I find that bit of "advice" helpful OneAcre.

Biscuit is a rabbit that I really like for the most part. I've never had a rabbit CHOOSE me as her person. This rabbit likes me - she is quite specific about it. She's an excellent rabbit, giving me 13 kits in a litter that grow quickly and well. She is also useful as a training tool for new rabbit people who come around, giving me an opportunity to teach them how to handle a hormonal, space protective rabbit. Thusly expending a bit of effort to give her accommodations that suit her, while teaching my son hand-craft is worth it to me.

if she truly was a nasty aggressive, bite before looking and thinking rabbit I wouldn't waste my time on her.

Sorry, Ladysown :oops: I did not mean to come across in an ugly way...just thinking out loud and should have added some smileys or something... :) :) :)

Now, having read your response, it makes more sense to me that you would want to go to the extra effort. Does it necessarily NEED a litter box? Can the droppings not just fall thru the wire? That would be less work for you and no need to reach in to remove a litter box. You could also extend the roof a bit to over hang the external nest box to protect it from the elements a bit more.<br /><br />__________ Wed May 30, 2012 10:06 am __________<br /><br />Something like this...

outdoor hutch.jpg

But with a roof all the way across and a much smaller box area with a lid that can be opened from the outside....

No issues OneAcre....it's not your normal thing to be THAT blunt. :)

she'll be right on the lawn, and I'm thinking forward to the winter. I have a strong dislike for rabbits being in contact with their own fecal matter. Training now would be easier than training later I'm thinking...

ooh... external nestbox...didn't even consider that one. I was just thinking build the nestbox with handles for ease of removal...external...now to think HOW could I do that AND make it predator proof? Hmm....we have coons, we also have stupid break into the backyard to see the bunnies people...

__________ Wed May 30, 2012 11:10 am __________

i need to post pics of what I've done already...

ladysown":1yaln82l said:
No issues OneAcre....it's not your normal thing to be THAT blunt. :)

she'll be right on the lawn, and I'm thinking forward to the winter. I have a strong dislike for rabbits being in contact with their own fecal matter. Training now would be easier than training later I'm thinking...

ooh... external nestbox...didn't even consider that one. I was just thinking build the nestbox with handles for ease of removal...external...now to think HOW could I do that AND make it predator proof? Hmm....we have coons, we also have stupid break into the backyard to see the bunnies people...

__________ Wed May 30, 2012 11:10 am __________

i need to post pics of what I've done already...

Yes, do! We can all brainstorm together!

Can you make a small separate section where you feed her that could be closed off? That way you could clean her cage while she is busy eating.

What about OAF's idea with the picture of the hutch but make the box part big enough that you can insert a regular nest box , in there while leaving a resting spot for rainy days. you could make the floor inside of the box part wire as well so all the "pottys" fall through. Then you can feed her a treat "outside" and block off the entry to the box to see the kits and clean up. You might make the outside part have a partial roof so that you can put her dry foods there so they dont get ruined in inclimate weather?

oh or use covered feeders?

ok i'm ramlbing..... sorry

I"m going to see about building something external that I can leave as is for the summer and then in the winter put another box inside as an extra layer of warmth protection. Just be a matter of figuring out the specifics.

thanks for the ideas. :)

Latest posts

Back